Add Gutter Width slider to Draft View

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Bruno

Add Gutter Width slider to Draft View

Post by Bruno »

Hi, it would be great to have the Gutter Width slider also available in Draft View.
On a 13-inch screen with the Palettes and Navigator open, the default unadjustable narrow gutter width in the Editor makes perfect sense to make the most of the rather small screen real estate However, when working on a bigger screen and/or without the Palettes and Navigator open, a single line of text in the Editor can just becomes too long as it may stretch almost the entire width of my external 24-inch monitor.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Add Gutter Width slider to Draft View

Post by martin »

Thanks for the suggestion Bruno. The primary reason there's no gutter width slider in regular Draft View is because you can just resize the window to change the width of the editable text area. That's naturally not possible when working in Full Screen mode (the window is always maximized) and hence the need for the gutter width slider.
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Hi Martin, thanks for your explanation. Nevertheless in many circumstances I prefer to maximise the Draft View for a more focussed way of working and not be be distracted by a messy Desktop ;-). Hence, the need for a Gutter Width slider.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Bruno wrote: 2020-11-17 11:38:46 Hi Martin, thanks for your explanation. Nevertheless in many circumstances I prefer to maximise the Draft View for a more focussed way of working and not be be distracted by a messy Desktop ;-).
And thank you for your explanation and this discussion :) Your request makes more sense in the context of that workflow, but to be honest it sounds exactly like the reason there's full screen mode– to escape distractions. Is there any reasons you aren't using full screen mode in that situation?
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Hi Martin, yes indeed there is a reason for my preference of using a maximised Draft View instead of the Full-Screen mode. Oftentimes when working in Nisus, I quickly switch to other applications; say to look something up in the Dictionary app / the internet or to quickly jot down a note in Stickies. For that I just “Alt+Tab” to the other app and then quickly “Alt+Tab” back to Nisus. When in Draft View, that works perfectly. But when returning to Nisus in Full-Screen mode, the application window has simply disappeared. All that is left is the menu bar and I need to mouse to the Window menu and click on the document name to bring it back on. I believe that’s just the way the Full-Screen mode is defined by Apple as other applications show the same behaviour. Yet I find these additional steps rather distracting. Hence my preference for the maximised Draft View.