Shape with caption, stroke and shadow go around caption

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
stevenrowat

Shape with caption, stroke and shadow go around caption

Post by stevenrowat »

Hi,

Here's my issue in NWP2:
I have several figures (jpgs) that have captions.

I've decided that the core jpgs themselves would look better with a bit of edge stroke and shadow.
But! When I select and apply, say, a stroke, it goes all the way around the outside of the caption, not just the jpg itself. Same with the shadow. This looks wonky and isn't what I want; I want the jpg only to have the stroke and shadow.

--I've tried starting with a jpg, adding the shadow, and then the caption; but shadow disappears.
--I've tried just selecting the inner jpg; but the outer caption box stays selected and this doesn't do it.
--Nothing I can find about this in the caption section of the manual.

Any possibility of this? If not, I'd like to add it as a feature request; just using the captions shouldn't mean the figure itself, the central image, is no longer available for stroke and shadow.

Thanks

Steven R.
exegete77

Re: Shape with caption, stroke and shadow go around caption

Post by exegete77 »

Perhaps as a work around, use a two row, one column table, with the image in the top row and the caption in the bottom row. NOt ideal, but get you there until a real option exists.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
stevenrowat

Post by stevenrowat »

exegete77 wrote:Perhaps as a work around, use a two row, one column table, with the image in the top row and the caption in the bottom row. NOt ideal, but get you there until a real option exists.
Right, nice try. :-)
Except my shape is floating in the middle of a justified paragraph (which flows around it).
A table inserted there creates a new paragraph, which I don't want.
If I put the table in a shape, then the same thing happens --- border is applied outside the entire shape.

All I can think of is reworking the jpg in another application, adding shadow etc., and re-importing. This is not very convenient because it's nice to vary the shadow/border in place on the page to get it right.

[Later Edit:
I've found a simple workaround: merely make the jpg a shape, and the caption text another shape (text box).
This allows me to edge the jpg independently. And when I group them, the edge stays! :-) . ]

S.R.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

stevenrowat wrote:But! When I select and apply, say, a stroke, it goes all the way around the outside of the caption, not just the jpg itself. Same with the shadow. This looks wonky and isn't what I want; I want the jpg only to have the stroke and shadow.
Ah yes, this makes sense, because the "Add Caption" command in NWP actually takes your image and places it inside a floating text box. This same text box then contains the caption/text. So when you apply a border/shadow, it's really being applied to the whole floating text box.
--I've tried starting with a jpg, adding the shadow, and then the caption; but shadow disappears.
--I've tried just selecting the inner jpg; but the outer caption box stays selected and this doesn't do it.
Any possibility of this? If not, I'd like to add it as a feature request; just using the captions shouldn't mean the figure itself, the central image, is no longer available for stroke and shadow.
That is essentially the heart of the problem: inline/character images (whether in your main document area or a floating text box) cannot have a stroke/shadow applied. This is an odd limitation, and your feature request is well taken; I'll make sure it's filed, thanks!

In the meantime, I'm glad you found that using a floating image (and grouping that with your caption) does the trick.