Templates

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
huangqi

Templates

Post by huangqi »

Does Nisus have Templates (e.g. letters, newsletters etc) similar to word? Or is there a way to open public domain templates with Nisus? If so where do people get them?

Thanks,

-Jason
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: Templates

Post by rmark »

Jason,

Nisus Writer Pro and Nisus Writer Express can open any Microsoft Word "template" file (a file with the extension .dot).
Where do you get them? We don't have enough staff on hand to create these templates for all the possible users.
However…
The Avery Labels people have a number of such templates, others are available if you ever owned a copy of Word.
And, we maintain a templates library here in the Forum. Most of these have been contributed by your fellow-users. They include the following:
  • legal pleading page template
    Numbered Outline/Report Template
    Tri-fold brochure template
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
huangqi

Post by huangqi »

Thanks! I think my issue was that Nisus was unable to open modern word templates with the .dotx extension. But I assume if one just re-saves the template in the older 2004 format then this will work fine... IS that correct?

Thanks,

-Huang
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

huangqi wrote:Thanks! I think my issue was that Nisus was unable to open modern word templates with the .dotx extension. But I assume if one just re-saves the template in the older 2004 format then this will work fine... IS that correct?
That should work, though if you're going through the trouble of using Word to resave a file, you should use the RTF file format, since that's the file format we support the best.

If you don't want to resave the .dotx file using Word first, then you can just change the file extension from .dotx to .docx. Internally they are the same thing, and NWP will import the latter.

Ideally you shouldn't have to do either of these. I'll file an issue that we should import files with the .dotx file extension.