Linkback

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
SteveH

Linkback

Post by SteveH »

I have just registered Nisus Writer Express and have been having one problem with the application and Linkback. I couldn't find any suggestions about the problem on the support forum.

If I copy then paste in, say, an OmniGraffle image the graphic is displayed normally. If I double-click the graphic to edit it further I get a spinning beachball for a few seconds but OmniGraffle does not open and then the normal editing mode resumes.

This is running on a 12" PBook running 10.4.3. When I insert my graphics I have been copying in one application and then pasting within Nisus.

Cheers,

Steve
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

I am using NWE 2.5 and OmniGraffle 4.0 with no problems on macOS X 10.4.3.

When I click on an OmniGraffle drawing in a NWE document, OmniGraffle starts up and I can edit the drawing. When I save it in OmniGraffle the drawing is updated in NWE.
The only bug I have found is that NWE doesn't set the updated flag, i.e. the red close button on the top left doesn't have a black dot in it even though the document has been updated (I have informed Nisus about this).

Which version of OmniGraffle are you using?
Geoff Roynon
Mac Studio, MacOS X 14.0 Sonoma
NW Pro 3.3
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I'm running OmniGraffle 4.0 (v115.1) and checked for updates. This is the latest version.

Is there any sort of contect-sensitive menu normally available for editing Linkback graphics? I also tried dragging a OG file into a NWE document - should this insert a link to the document?

I've previously sent an email to Nisus on this query so hopefully should hear back soon.

Steve
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

SteveH wrote:I'm running OmniGraffle 4.0 (v115.1) and checked for updates. This is the latest version.
The latest version is 4.1 rc 1 (v122)and can be downloaded at the omnigroup website. 8)
Peter Edwardsson
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thanks for that pointer. I have downloaded and tried that version but have the same behaviour with that version too.
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

I can't think why you are having problems and my setup works fine.
Have you checked the Console log for any relevant messages? You could leave the Console log open in the background while you reproduce the problem and see if any new lines appear.
How often do you repair permissions?

Not sure what else to suggest. Is there a LinkBack forum on the web?
Geoff Roynon
Mac Studio, MacOS X 14.0 Sonoma
NW Pro 3.3
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Just to widen the field I tried running the same test in OmniOutliner, using the same OmniGraffle image. In this case there was no problem at all and I could edit and change the embedded image with no problem.

Seems like a Nisus Writer problem to me.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

SteveH wrote:Just to widen the field I tried running the same test in OmniOutliner, using the same OmniGraffle image. In this case there was no problem at all and I could edit and change the embedded image with no problem.

Seems like a Nisus Writer problem to me.
Try trashing the prefs for NWE.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't work; I trashed the .plist file but had the same behaviour.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

SteveH wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't work; I trashed the .plist file but had the same behaviour.
How about the Omni prefs, too? Maybe a reinstall of both apps? Do you have any odd software installed that might be affecting performance?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Do you have any odd software installed that might be affecting performance?
Not that I am aware of. I don't have any haxies and don't even really know what they are. The only apps that might be any way out of the ordinary are CodeTek Virtual Desktops and QuickSilver. I reckon the latter is low risk where CTVD has caused problems in the past with things like Firefox. I've tried running with no CTVD but the problem remains the same.
How about the Omni prefs too?
They seem to work as I can use Linkback between OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle.

As you suggest, maybe a reinstall of NWE may be useful.
stfurrer

Post by stfurrer »

I've got exactly the same problem! Nothing helped.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Having already tried ditching the prefs, I reinstalled the app but continued to have the same problem.
I've got exactly the same problem! Nothing helped.
Do you use any off-the-beaten-track software that may be associated? I am curious that only stfurrer and I seem to have had this problem and wonder if we have somthing in common.
stfurrer

Post by stfurrer »

I use just "normal" software. At the beginning, linkback worked fine. No other software was installed since then, now, it works only if omnigraffle is already open. I've reinstalled everything, trashed almost every .plist file, fixed everything with Diskwarrior, nothing!!! That sucks, because linkback support was one of the major reason for me to use Nisus.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Man, this is crazy! Another thing to try, have you repaired your disk permissions with Disk Utility?