Pasting Unicode Hebrew from Accordance to NWP

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Targuman

Pasting Unicode Hebrew from Accordance to NWP

Post by Targuman »

When I paste Hebrew from the Accordance Bible app into NWP (1.2) I get either Apple Braille or Times (in red, this means font substitution, right?). What am I missing that I cannot get it to simply paste in the Hebrew font I have selected? Further problems:

I have NWP set up with Languages so that when Hebrew is selected I also have Raanana selected as the secondary font.

When I paste, I get Apple Braille, when I change it to Raanana (or New Peninim MT) NWP changes the font but shows the font name in red. I understand from the forum that this means a font substitution has occurred, but why? Those fonts are on the computer and Font Book has validated them and says they are fine. This is true for EVERY OS installed Hebrew font. Switching fonts to SBL Hebrew seems to work ok (no red font name) but I still cannot paste into that font (comes up Apple Braille first).

I admit to not having kept up on Unicode fonts (SBL Hebrew is such, the other may not be?) but that still leaves the paste issue.

Any help? I am embarking on a large project and would like to get this right from the outset.

PS - Importing from Classic Nisus is much better now! My book and doctorate came in almost perfect (headers screwed up) but enough for me to then use in a new NWP document.

Thanks!
Christian Brady

http://targuman.org/blog
Ruchama

Re: Pasting Unicode Hebrew from Accordance to NWP

Post by Ruchama »

I do not know how apple braille looks like but I doubt whether it includes all punctuation characters. In any case this is the (random? probably not) automatic selection of the system. I think that the red mark means that some characters which are included in the text you have selected are not available in the selected font.
I had a look on the software demo (impressive!) and it seems to me that the font they are using is Ezra SIL. Do you have this installed? I could paste proper hebrew bible verses from various sources only when this font was installed. mind you, you will probably have low quality type settings as apple's language engine on which Nisus depends, is lousy in all the hebrew aspects of nikud and ta'amey Hamikra.

in any case I do not know a way to force nisus in advance to paste text in a font different than its original one. you will probably have to paste and then select and change font.

will be happy to know whether and how your problem will be solved as I may purchase the software myself..
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

did you try pasting text from Accordance Bible to Apple TextEdit? This is always the first step to check what's going wrong. I guess you will have the same problem with TextEdit - what would mean the fault is not with NWP 1.2 - but I don't know myself. If Accordance Bible still works with pre-Unicode Mac/Win fonts, that would be why - but again no Hebrew /Accordance Bible with me...

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

In the Accordance preferences under "Greek and Hebrew," make sure you have 'Export all characters with Unicode format' checked.
Targuman

Post by Targuman »

Thank you all for replying! My response, in reverse order:

DavidK - I have set the Accordance preferences for Unicode and I have tried it with various permutations of stripping nikkudot, etc. Always comes up Apple Braille in Nisus WP (as does Greek).

Elbrecht - I tried it in TextEdit. Slight variation, the font comes in as Lucinda Grande, which, I believe is correct, since that is a primary Unicode font, right? But when I switch the font in TextEdit to Raanana things get goofy. Some consonants are large and others are the correct size. I believe I saw someone comment on this on another thread. Could this be related to the nikkudot?

Ruchama - Apple Braille does seem to have all of characters, but it is an "uncial" style font and not what I want in the text. I guess the heart of my question is why NWP does not respect my chosen font when pasting like it does when you chose "Paste Text Only".... And now the light bulb goes off!

REJOICING AND HOSANNAS!

Using Past Text Only (cmd-shift-v) WILL use the font that you have established in NWP! I don't know why I did not think of that before....

And the problem with Raanana IS the cantillation marks. Remove those (leaving the vowels) and you won't have some consonants large (it is the supralinear characters that I believe are causing the problems).

So...thank you all for your help! I think that fixes it...I will let you know if not.

Now... anyone use Scrivener and NWP with Hebrew? ;-)
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

If you find a font that shows nikud and cantillation ok in Nisus, I will be extremely happy (though I doubt it.. :( ). Please let me know. thanks

I am sure that the choice of Braille font has to do with the choice of the original text, in combination with the apple text engine that choses a replaced font. I doubt whether that is due to Nisus.