Enhancing the integration with Bookends

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Þorvarður

Enhancing the integration with Bookends

Post by Þorvarður »

(PART 1)
Hi Ted and all other Nisus users who use Bookends,

In a recent post you wrote:
What I would like is: […] Deeper integration with Bookends for source notation
What enhancements would you like to see exactly?

Live bibliography would perhaps be nice, although I think that’s mostly eye-candy. Some people say they want to see it right away in the document whether a format in Bookends needs an amendment. But since Bookends already displays all three, the final citation, the subsequent citation and the bibliographic reference in the Formatted reference window, controlling the format can easily been done in Bookends itself.

Nisus is already well integrated with Bookends; Floating Citations and deep links work well, and the ability to manipulate the bibliography in Nisus with macros is endless. I like, for example, being able to scan the final document with a macro which automatically places the word “Bibliography” exactly where I want it and have it be followed by the bibliography itself, then format it, all in a single macro in one go. I created a button in the Toolbar to trigger this macro and thus, to use your words, enhance the integration with Bookends. :–). It’s the button with the books.
I now usually start Bookends directly from within Nisus by pressing the button with the felt-tip pen icon (see screenshot below).

1.png
1.png (8.68 KiB) Viewed 228 times

I have also another button in the Toolbar next to the button with the felt-tip pen icon. Pressing that button creates a chronological table based on fictional works in Bookends. Why a chronological table, you may ask. Well, for historians, literary scholars and students chronology is often immensely important.

If someone wants to know how this is done, then here is a description. I created a new .fmt format in the Formatting Manager where by fictional works the year of first publication is output first and in bold, followed by Author, Title and Genre. I also created a new ‘Type’ for those fictional works which I call “Zeittafel” (chronological table, timetable…). To get a chronological table into Nisus, I search for works in Bookends which have “Zeittafel” as a Type, then press this button in Nisus which then runs a macro that imports the hits from Bookends and automatically converts the text to a table in Nisus. This is how it looks like in Nisus:

2.png
2.png (163.02 KiB) Viewed 228 times

Notice that only fields that are important for the chronological table were imported.
Last edited by Þorvarður on 2024-05-28 02:18:48, edited 3 times in total.
Þorvarður

Re: Enhancing the integration with Bookends (PART 2)

Post by Þorvarður »

(PART 2)
Finally, I would like to share a tip with members of the forum, a tip that not everybody many know. It makes working with Bookends so much more comfortable than if we just follow the default options set in Bookends. At least that is my opinion. — In the description below, I assume the reader is already familiar with the terms temporary and final citations, Formatting Manager and .fmt formats.

The format Bookends uses for *temporary* citations is by default one of the following three, and these formats cannot be changed by the user:
1) Content,
2) Author, Date, Unique ID or
3) Author, Date, PMID.
3.png
3.png (19.33 KiB) Viewed 227 times
Now, many people who want their *final* citation to look like (Smith 2024), choose the second option above for their *temporary* citations as well. That should, however, be avoided in my opinion, especially in longer documents and as long as Nisus has no live bibliography, because if you have many temporary citations in a long document which resemble this one {Smith 2024}, you’ll probably sooner or later forget who this Smith is and what book, journal, article or whatever you are citing; and since the document has no bibliography yet you can’t easily look it up and see who Smith is.

It’s much better to create a new .fmt format in the Formatting Manager, with the Author’s Name, Title and Date [and perhaps other field contents you may want to see to help you remember what you are actually citing]. Name this format “My temporary citation format”, but DON’T select it (= activate it) in the Formatting Manager. Instead, go to the Preferences > Scan & Bib and choose it from the dropdown menu and tell Bookends to use it, as shown below:
4.png
4.png (73.49 KiB) Viewed 227 times
5.png
5.png (38.97 KiB) Viewed 227 times

If anyone has more tips, macros or AppleScripts related to how to use Nisus with Bookends, then please share!