drag and drop

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ngazidja

drag and drop

Post by ngazidja »

I no longer seem to be able to double click on a word and then drag it to another location. This is a recent development, I actually suspect it's a system setting (since I can't do it in TextEdit either) but I can't find anything that might help in the system settings and a question in Apple communities hasn't had any responses. Since it's a text editing issue, perhaps someone here has had a similar problem? And solved it...? I'm still on Ventura (and haven't made a significant upgrade recently, so it wasn't the jump from Monterey).
adryan

Re: drag and drop

Post by adryan »

G'day, ngazidja et al

I've just had to get the display replaced on my M1 MBP and the machine came back upgraded to Ventura.

Drag and drop to a different location within a Nisus document or to a Finder location (as a text clipping) works for me in NWP 3.4.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

Well this is the strangest thing. After about a week of drag and drop not working, and after reading your post Adryan, I thought, well why won't it work for me. So i tried again and it works just fine, as normal. I haven't restarted (largely because I have an upgrade to Sonoma lurking in the wings and I didn't want to install it until I sorted this out), I didn't even relaunch NWP (because it didn't seem to be a NWP problem). I did relaunch TextEdit, or rather it relaunched itself - TextEdit automatically quits when there are no windows open - as does Preview, a longstanding enigma that I never resolved.

Anyway, problem perhaps not soved, but no longer existing.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, ngazidja et al

I'm glad the problem seems to be resolved.

You say that TextEdit and Preview quit automatically when they have no windows open. This is the expected behavior of some things, such as System Information and System Settings (or its previous incarnation as System Preferences), but I have never experienced it with the applications you mention — on any computer or with any version of the operating system I have used.

Indeed, unless there is some setting within the operating system which governs such behavior (and I am unaware of any), it would be very peculiar for any application that offers either a New or an Open command to quit just because it has no windows open.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

Yes, i had all sorts of suggestions in the apple communities forum but basically no-one had any ideas. It was happening in Monterey and now in Ventura. I suppose it's time for Sonoma, let's see if it persists.