FR: Have font search string look for matches in entire font name, not merely from the beginning

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
NisusUser

FR: Have font search string look for matches in entire font name, not merely from the beginning

Post by NisusUser »

I’d like Nisus Writer Pro to sort the list of available fonts if the string in the search field is anywhere in the font name, rather than looking for matches with only the beginning of the font name. For example, I know I want a mono-spaced font, but I can never remember the names of the ones I have, except that they have “mono” in the names. I've attached a screenshot.

I don' t know how hard this would be to implement, but I face this often when I remember only part of a font name, but not the beginning of it.

What do you think, Martin? Would any other users find this useful?

Thanks!
FR for NWP - have fonts search for the sought string in entire font name_web.png
FR for NWP - have fonts search for the sought string in entire font name_web.png (91.59 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
Stefan

Re: FR: Have font search string look for matches in entire font name, not merely from the beginning

Post by Stefan »

@NisusWriter:

A possible workaround could be the Mac Font-Book-App in the applications folder. Type "Mono" into the search field and it will show you all fonts including "Mono" in its name.
Search result for "Mono" in the Mac Font-Book-App
Search result for "Mono" in the Mac Font-Book-App
Mac Font Book.jpg (297.09 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
Mac Studio M1 Max 10/32 64GB
macOS 14.2.1
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
phspaelti

Re: FR: Have font search string look for matches in entire font name, not merely from the beginning

Post by phspaelti »

I kept looking at this little search box and wondering "Where is this feature in NWP?". But now I realize you created this as a mock-up?

The current implementation requires one to type directly in the font list. And you have to type 'swiftly' or it will keep jumping to the next letter. ("Ti" -> "Times", "T - I" -> "Tahoma" then "Impact")

Or am I missing something?
philip
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

NisusUser wrote: 2024-01-13 07:37:01 I want a mono-spaced font, but I can never remember the names of the ones I have, except that they have “mono” in the names.
Have you considered a new customized font collection? You can create your own font-collections and have them appear in the Font menu.
This can be done in two ways, either in Nisus directly or in Apple's Font Book.

Format > Font > Show Fonts
1) Create a new font collection.png
1) Create a new font collection.png (33 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
In Nisus the new collection will then look like this:
2) Mono.png
2) Mono.png (30.86 KiB) Viewed 1760 times

The User Guide says on p. 105: "To accomplish this you need to use Apple’s Font Book.app." Meanwhile, since we can now also do this directly in Nisus, this passage has become obsolete and should be updated.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

phspaelti wrote: 2024-01-13 21:25:37 I kept looking at this little search box and wondering "Where is this feature in NWP?". But now I realize you created this as a mock-up?

The current implementation requires one to type directly in the font list. And you have to type 'swiftly' or it will keep jumping to the next letter. ("Ti" -> "Times", "T - I" -> "Tahoma" then "Impact")
Hello, Philip.
I did not really make a mock-up. This is how it showed up on my system. I wanted to get to "Andale Mono" or some other mono-spaced font, but typing in "mono" did not help. That's why Andale is way down the list, even though it has "Mono" in it.

I tried to imitate what you said you did:
phspaelti wrote: 2024-01-13 21:25:37 The current implementation requires one to type directly in the font list. And you have to type 'swiftly' or it will keep jumping to the next letter. ("Ti" -> "Times", "T - I" -> "Tahoma" then "Impact")
On my system it doesn't seem to do that. When I type "t", it jumps to "Tahoma", when I type "Ti" to "Times New Roman", and even more slowly typing in "T-i" gives the same result.

I'm on Sonoma 14.2.1.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Þorvarður wrote: 2024-01-14 04:03:11
Have you considered a new customized font collection? You can create your own font-collections and have them appear in the Font menu.
This can be done in two ways, either in Nisus directly or in Apple's Font Book.
Hi, Þorvarður,

I had completely forgotten about that feature. I did have "Fixed Width" in there so that does do what I need. Thanks for jogging my memory.
fixed_width_fonts_in_nwp_web.png
fixed_width_fonts_in_nwp_web.png (66.88 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Edit: This method is better, Þorvarður, for finding all of the mono-spaced for fixed-width fonts, because, contrary to my assertion in the original post, not all of them actually have "mono" in the name. :) You have provided a good solution. Now for me to remember it!
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

Stefan wrote: 2024-01-13 12:52:26A possible workaround could be the Mac Font-Book-App in the applications folder
This can also be done directly in Nisus, thus allowing us to bypass the Font Book. Just press Command + T, or Format > Font > Show Fonts

1.png
1.png (52.3 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Þorvarður wrote: 2024-01-19 12:34:26 This can also be done directly in Nisus, thus allowing us to bypass the Font Book. Just press Command + T, or Format > Font > Show Fonts
Thank you, Þorvarður.