NW Pro 3.3 crashing in macOS 14.0

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
cashdollar

NW Pro 3.3 crashing in macOS 14.0

Post by cashdollar »

NW Pro 3.3 (App Store version) seems to be crashing. Not sure of the cause, but on one instance when auto-correct was activated it substituted a word, changed the font then quit. I sent the crash logs. Is this a problem that folks have seen?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: NW Pro 3.3 crashing in macOS 14.0

Post by martin »

There are definitely compatibility issues with Nisus Writer and macOS Sonoma. The most prominent is related to system-wide auto-completion, which triggers crashes in Nisus Writer.

We have a pre-release beta version of Nisus Writer Pro that attempts to fix the most serious of these problems. We’re very sorry for the trouble! We hope the beta helps while we smooth out other remaining issues
cashdollar

Post by cashdollar »

Thanks! It was a little surprising. I don't remember a NW crash since the transition from 6.5/Okito/NW Pro.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

cashdollar wrote: 2023-10-10 10:11:20 Thanks! It was a little surprising. I don't remember a NW crash since the transition from 6.5/Okito/NW Pro.
Not that I want to contradict such favorable memories, but that's perhaps the gentle lens of nostalgia! :drunk:

There have been several periods of Apple triggered instability. So far Sonoma incompatibility has been a little rockier than in recent years of macOS system updates, but in the long view it's not quite as disruptive as some of the bigger Apple transitions. Certain the move from "classic" to Mac OS X was THE big one, but another big effort was the PPC to Intel transition. There were also lower levels of less memorable, but no less rocky, macOS system version churn throughout the decades that Nisus Writer has been around.

Thanks for your patience while we smooth things over with Sonoma!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Workarounds to prevent crashes on Sonoma are no longer required. The Nisus Writer Pro beta has been superseded by the official release of Nisus Writer Pro 3.4, which ensures macOS Sonoma compatibility.