Typinator expands slowly?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Martin S Taylor

Typinator expands slowly?

Post by Martin S Taylor »

I use Typinator a lot, and have various strings which expand to paragraphs of text.

In most word processors, the process is almost instantaneous. I type "expandthisstringtoaparagraph" and it instantly vanishes and the paragraph appears.

When I try this in NW, the trigger string vanishes quickly but not instantaneously. It does it letter by letter (at a speed almost as if I'm holding down the delete key). The new paragraph then appears, and the cursor moves to its required location, but again it does this character by character, as if I'm holding down the left-arrow.

(When using other text expanders, such as the built-in Apple one or the one included in NW, the expansion does happen instantaneously.)

Any thoughts? It's no biggie, but it is rather irritating and detracts from the snappiness of Typinator, which is one of the things I like about it.

Martin S Taylor
iMac Pro; Ventura 13.0; NW 3.3
Bob Stern

Re: Typinator expands slowly?

Post by Bob Stern »

I don’t have this problem. (In Monterey.)

In Typinator Prefs > Expansion, be sure you enable "Enable quick expansion".
Martin S Taylor

Yes, Enable quick expansion is ticked in Typinator's Preferences.

(I had the problem in Monterey, too, and wondered if updating to Ventura would cure it. It didn't.)

MST
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Have you contacted Typinator about this? They are the ones who are most likely to be able to provide an explanation for this, and hopefully suggest a solution.

We could try to investigate this from the Nisus Writer side of things. You might capture an Activity Monitor sample during a slow expansion. But it's unlikely to be fruitful. It would probably show that Typinator is indeed sending single events (as if you had held down the delete key) to accomplish the expansion, but it wouldn't explain why. Only Typinator would have visibility into what factors are relevant.
Martin S Taylor

No, I haven't asked Typinator, but I will do, and will report back.

MST