EDITING IN SPIT VIEW

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
paieye

EDITING IN SPIT VIEW

Post by paieye »

I am trying to work on 2 documents, editing each in turn. I have made a start, using Split View, though for all that I know, there may be a better way. SV does not object if in Document A I Select text and Cut the selection, but, when I move my insertion-point to Document B to type in some more text, it instantly shows Document A on both sides of the split. I should like to save Document A with the cuts, but do not dare do so, in case that affects Document B; and I cannot edit Document B without fearing to affect Document A. Hope that you can help !
phspaelti

Re: EDITING IN SPIT VIEW

Post by phspaelti »

I'm a bit confused about your description here. Split view allows you to get two (or more) views of the same document. To edit two documents you will need to use two windows.
FWIW: If I have two documents open, A with split view, and copy from A, and move to document B and paste, the display of A does not change in any way…
philip
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, paieye, Philip et al

Philip is exactly right. Split View is for use within a single document. It should be noted that it would be inadvisable to append one document to another within a single document and then edit using Split View. I will not elaborate on the dangers of doing this; I only mention it in case one were tempted in this direction.

In this situation, I usually have my two Nisus windows equal in size and positioned side by side, occupying as much of the screen as possible. I use an AppleScript script to do the work automatically, but it's easy enough to do it manually anyway. (The script requires knowledge of the display resolution in use and the height of the main menu bar.) A Macro that arranged the two frontmost Nisus windows thus would be a useful addition to the Document set of Macros.

Tip 1: Position the Palettes icon in your Nisus Writer Toolbar such that it is always visible and thus readily toggleable in either document.

Tip 2: Be consistent in your window placement. By this I mean that you might choose to have your reference document on the left (say) and the one you are actively editing on the right. If you employ a script (or a Macro) to position your windows, always check that the resultant window placement accords with your preferred scheme. This is particularly important for users of Monterey where Apple in its wisdom has decided to play hide-and-seek with the complete name of a document.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
paieye

Post by paieye »

Thank you both,, let me report back when I have tried out your suggestions.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, paieye et al

I should just add that the synchronized scrolling feature (available via the View menu and described in the User Guide) may be useful, depending on what you are doing with the two documents. Note that you get live synchronized scrolling (ie, instant feedback) with 2-finger scrolling on a trackpad, but the result of clicking and dragging on a scroll bar in one window is not reflected in the other window until you've stopped scrolling.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
paieye

Post by paieye »

Here is where I am:

1. I launch Nisus Writer Prom and open Document A..
2. I click Windows I am visually-impaired, so need windows separated horizontally. There appears to be no such choice in the drop-down menu, so I choose Tile to (whatever).
3. I then -- cleverly, as I misguidedly thought -- stretch the tiles so as to sepaarate them horizontally.
4, I click in the empty tile, and open Document B.
5. No luck ! Document B now occupies both windows.
What am I doing wrong ?
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, paieye et al

I've never used the tiling feature before, so I've just tried it now. To me, it looks like more trouble than it's worth. Stuff just goes everywhere, the Dock becomes unavailable, Nisus Palettes are squished inside the tile space, and so on. I may not be doing it right, but to me it looks unnecessarily complicated.

I suggest you position your Nisus windows manually. Position one window so its top left corner is at the top left of your screen, then position the cursor at the bottom right corner of the window. Drag that corner so it reaches the right border of the screen, then drag it vertically until the window occupies the top half of the screen. (It doesn't have to be exact.) Then drag the whole window so it sits at the bottom of the screen. Do something similar with the other document, but leave it at the top of the screen. You can drag the window edges to fine-tune the arrangement if you wish. Once you save the documents, their window sizes and positions will be saved as well, so you only have to do this procedure once.

I think an AppleScript script would really be best in your situation. I could tailor one for you if you like, but you would need to tell me what your display resolution is. You would need to go to System Preferences > Displays and place the cursor over the resolution selected there. (It will be one of the five icons on the right side of the pane.) The resolution parameters will appear on the left side of the pane; eg, "Looks like 1352 x 878”.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
paieye

Post by paieye »

Thank you for yet again coming to my help ! Let me try that, and report back.
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

Hello Paieye,
Maybe there is some misunderstanding going on here. Nisus has a feature called "Split View", and this is used to get two (or more) views of the same document. But the macOS has also an inbuilt separate feature called Split View mode. This feature is sometimes referred to as split screen, and it allows you to divide the screen into two halves and view two applications, two Finder windows or two documents side by side in full screen view. This is the Split View you should be using (and not the Split View in Nisus.)

1. Open the two Nisus documents you are working on
2. Choose "Synchronize Scrolling…" from Nisus' View menu.
3. Then hover the pointer over the green button in the upper left corner of your active document. A drop-down menu will emerge. Select "Tile Window to Left of Screen" for full screen mode. Then click on the other document. — If you are running an old macOS, like me, you need to click on the green button and hold down the mouse until the left or the right half of the desktop is flashed with blue light. Then release the mouse, and the document is now displayed in full screen mode. Click on the second document, and it will automatically be displayed in full screen mode too.
4. You should now be able to work comfortably on the two documents side by side in full screen mode.
5. To temporarily disable Synchronize Scrolling press and hold down the command key.

Here is a short introduction to Split View mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYpTFA1MBtY

A more detailed introduction can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hUD_XFoO6A

I'm not sure though, whether these videos are helpful for people who are visually impaired.