Request: Everything a style!

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
tedg

Request: Everything a style!

Post by tedg »

I'm using NWP extensively and have a gripe.

My documents have a specific vocabulary I've developed over the decades. I should be able to employ this set of styles simply by using styles, but NWP asks me to do too many things.

I should have a bullet style that both sets the bullet list and applies a style.

I should have a figure style that automatically sets the figure counter and attaches to the image.

I should have a header style that enforces APA initial cap rules.

I might have a LaTeX or Mathjax style for equations.

I might have a style that includes selectable variables, like in text expander.

Can I put that on the list for next version with one vote?
User since 1990
Most current NWp and MacOS
MacBookPro 16-inch 2021
Þorvarður

Re: Request: Everything a style!

Post by Þorvarður »

NWP asks me to do too many things.
Instead of asking for styles that expand automatically into a set of instructions to perform a particular task, why don't you just use macros instead? Isn't that what macros are for?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Þorvarður wrote: 2022-05-01 20:28:35
NWP asks me to do too many things.
Instead of asking for styles that expand automatically into a set of instructions to perform a particular task, why don't you just use macros instead? Isn't that what macros are for?
Styles are generally better than macros because of automatic and targeted updates. A macro that reformats an image (or all images) might be nice, but it's even nicer if editing an image style automatically does it for you.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

tedg wrote: 2022-04-29 13:15:40 My documents have a specific vocabulary I've developed over the decades. I should be able to employ this set of styles simply by using styles, but NWP asks me to do too many things.
Can I put that on the list for next version with one vote?
Thanks for your feedback. There are certainly areas where it would be nice if Nisus Writer had additional styles, e.g. table and image styles.
I should have a figure style that automatically sets the figure counter and attaches to the image.
This is already possible. You can define an "Image Caption" paragraph style that enforces a particular list style with a custom text prefix like "Figure".
tedg

Post by tedg »

have a figure style that automatically sets the figure counter and attaches to the image.
This is already possible. You can define an "Image Caption" paragraph style that enforces a particular list style with a custom text prefix like "Figure".
Thanks for the response. I should have left this off the list because I suspected it would draw attention and is a different kind of problem.

I did in fact set a Figure Title Style. I was unable to figure how to automatically apply the Autonumber "figure X" list attribute when the style was applied. I can 'attach' it to an image, but only if the image is floating. That produced images that jumps around such that in a couple cases and autonumbered figure 4 comes physically before figure 3. I am now just numbering manually on flow images.

So let's make this a separate request.

Have a style option where the para style 'stays with' the previous image, just like headers stay with the text that follows.
User since 1990
Most current NWp and MacOS
MacBookPro 16-inch 2021
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

tedg wrote: 2022-05-03 18:24:33 I did in fact set a Figure Title Style. I was unable to figure how to automatically apply the Autonumber "figure X" list attribute when the style was applied.
The list style enforces the custom automatically numbered list item text, e.g. Figure 1, Figure 2, etc. I recommend that you create a new list style for this purpose. You then enforce the list style via your paragraph style.

I'll attach a sample document that shows this technique. There's a few minor points of interest:

1. The Figures list style is set to continue numbering across document content.
2. The Figure paragraph style has "keep with next paragraph" enabled so the image isn't placed on a different page than its caption.
3. The "next style" setting for each paragraph style is conveniently configured so it flows from Figure => Figure Caption => Normal.
Attachments
figures.zrtf
(19.66 KiB) Downloaded 146 times