importing chapter headings/TOC level(s)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
richierat4

importing chapter headings/TOC level(s)

Post by richierat4 »

i apologize if this is old topic but i could not find it under "import chapters" or relevant hits with "import TOC levels"

i'd like to import chapter headings/TOC levels into NWP from a working text file or from another app like tinderbox or ithoughts, i.e., using whatever NWP is happy with: csv, tsv, opml - whatever since with pandoc i can get it into that file format.

i could simply work with NWP from the get go and am happy to do that if i must but using tinderbox or ithoughts first allows me to play around with the headings/TOC levels along with other manipulations NWP can not do

thanks for any help
rmr
phspaelti

Re: importing chapter headings/TOC level(s)

Post by phspaelti »

I don't know anything about tinderbox, ithoughts.

In NWP TOC is handled through styles. You can use any styles you choose as long as you set up things correctly.

csv is just text and can obviously be opened in NWP, but what does that mean for your TOC levels? Will they be signaled by tabs/indenting? In that case Find and/or a macro could be used to apply relevant styles to the appropriate TOC levels.

The other format you mention - OPML - is obviously a kind of markup. I'm not aware that there is any kind of import capability for that in NWP. If you imported as text, you should be able to see the markup, which again could be used by a macro to apply relevant styles. This might be okay, if the markup grammar is not too complicated.
philip
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

I just took a quick look at tinderbox. It seems to have an export as RTF option. In this option it seems to preserve the levels of the outline using font sizes. So you can open the outline in Nisus and select all the ones in the same format and apply a heading style. It would also be easy to create a macro which did this quickly for all levels.
philip
richierat4

Post by richierat4 »

thanks for tinderbox rtf export idea
shall try it
i still would love NWP to include an option of importing a nonNWP pre-existing outline (in any format) and maintain indentation levels as TOC headings
rmr