Global setting for Draft view margin?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
withoutFeathers

Global setting for Draft view margin?

Post by withoutFeathers »

Hi,
I find the Draft View margin too tight, especially on the left side. It's scarcely the width of an m dash.

I know I could pull the left margin indicator in the ruler, but that's inconvenient and kludgy when I'm working with many separate files.

I've tried the manual and various settings, but don't see any way to change that Draft view margin globally. I know there's a 'full screen' view that does some of what I want, but it's overkill I find — it removes some resources that I need, like quick movement to other apps, Finder, files.

Shouldn't there be a simple global setting for this Draft margin?

If not, I request one. :)

wF
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Global setting for Draft view margin?

Post by martin »

There isn't a setting to add a margin/gutter in Draft View. There is a "gutter" option available in the Page View margins palette, but it won't help you for Draft View– sorry!

I'll add a vote for your request. Thanks for the feedback.

In the meantime here's a possibly unappealing kludge: you can turn on paragraph numbers that show up in the Draft View margin. These numbers will force the additional spacing you want. You can set the numbering color to white so they don't actually show up on screen, though technically they are still there and will be included in final output (e.g. PDF). You can control all this using the Line Numbering palette. The numbering options apply on a per-section basis.
withoutFeathers

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the quick response.
martin wrote: 2022-02-04 10:12:08 I'll add a vote for your request. Thanks for the feedback.
Good, thank you.
martin wrote: 2022-02-04 10:12:08 In the meantime here's a possibly unappealing kludge: ... The numbering options apply on a per-section basis.
Interesting, but I don't think I can use this for two reasons. The first is that it leaves a grey vertical line where the page edge used to be, so unless we can get rid of this, it will interfere with my concentration almost the same. Here's a screen shot.
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 11.56.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 11.56.13 AM.png (13.2 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
And on top of that it requires turning on and off with each file, which as you indicate is a kludge. I'm working with dozens of files, and would like to just adjust the way I edit once and be done with it. It's not something I need (or want) to associate with each file itself.

So I look forward to it in a later update. And if anybody else wants to chime in that they'd like this...please do. :)

wF
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, wF et al

I have a slightly different, but possibly related, problem with Draft View.

If you run the cursor from right to left over the longer line of text in the attached document (without clicking anywhere), the cursor changes from an insertion point to an arrow as it approaches the leftmost character. You can't actually click to the left of the leftmost character in order to begin either a drag selection or a Shift-click selection. In fact, you can't even do a leftwards drag to select just that first character. I find this very annoying.

Draft View.rtf
(29.98 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

I don't particularly want user-alterable margins in Draft View, but I'd like to see the above behavior rectified if possible.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
withoutFeathers

adryan wrote: 2022-02-04 15:58:54 G'day, wF et al

I have a slightly different, but possibly related, problem with Draft View.

If you run the cursor from right to left over the longer line of text in the attached document (without clicking anywhere), the cursor changes from an insertion point to an arrow as it approaches the leftmost character. You can't actually click to the left of the leftmost character in order to begin either a drag selection or a Shift-click selection. In fact, you can't even do a leftwards drag to select just that first character. I find this very annoying.
Hi adryan
I tried your file, and I can't reproduce it.
For me, cursor doesn't change to an arrow until it's over past the vertical line beside the numbers. I can select normally, even the first character. So possibly it's a version issue?
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 4.37.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 4.37.17 PM.png (9.91 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
I'm on 3.2.1, Mac High Sierra

wF
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, wF et al

I’m using NWP 3.2.2 with Monterey 12.0.1.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

I'm running NWP 3.2.2 under Monterey 12.2 on both a 2015 5K iMac (Intel) and an M1 MacBook Air. On both, I can't use the mouse to place the cursor before either of the first or second characters in Adrian's example, or drag to highlight from either of the first two characters. So it seems this is a Monterey issue.

I don't personally have a problem with the width of the margins.

Cheers,
Mark
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Mark et al

Thanks for checking this, Mark. However, I had the same problem with Mojave.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

adryan wrote: 2022-02-04 15:58:54 If you run the cursor from right to left over the longer line of text in the attached document (without clicking anywhere), the cursor changes from an insertion point to an arrow as it approaches the leftmost character. You can't actually click to the left of the leftmost character in order to begin either a drag selection or a Shift-click selection. In fact, you can't even do a leftwards drag to select just that first character.
Thank you for the bug description and sample document. It looks like the problem is related to the vertical ruler. If you hide the vertical ruler the problem goes away.

What's strange is that everything appears to be in order. I've verified that the ruler is only occupying the intended space (i.e. what's visible on screen). I'm not sure what's intercepting the mouse clicks before they reach the text area. It doesn't seem to be anything that Nisus controls directly, so your system version could impact whether or not this bug occurs. Aspect of ruler management are controlled by macOS, even though Nisus Writer draws them on screen.

We'll have to investigate further to see how this issue might be fixed. Thanks again, and sorry for the nuisance.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

One quick follow-up to the click area bug: the width of the unresponsive area seems to be independent of your zoom level. That means if your document zoom is large enough you won't ever encounter this bug. It's more pronounced at lower magnification levels.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

martin wrote: 2022-02-07 13:38:15 <snip>
Thank you for the bug description and sample document. It looks like the problem is related to the vertical ruler. If you hide the vertical ruler the problem goes away.
<snip>

We'll have to investigate further to see how this issue might be fixed. Thanks again, and sorry for the nuisance.
I can confirm that, at least on my 5K iMac. With no vertical ruler I don't have the problem; with the vertical ruler I have the two-character problem at 100% and 125% magnification but at 150% it drops down to one character.

Mark
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Martin, Mark et al

With Martin's tips about rulers and page zoom, I've tried some experiments and found some interesting things.

With magnification set high enough to allow selection of the first character, move the cursor progressively to the left. At some point it changes to the arrow cursor briefly before reverting to the text cursor the rest of the way to the vertical ruler.

However, if you start at the ruler and move the cursor to the right, you do not get the intermittent arrow cursor once you have left the ruler behind. Strange, eh?

But the clue as to what's going on lies in the fact that the cursor becomes an arrow when it is two ruler-widths from the very left of the window.

However, it is not quite this simple.

Up to 400% magnification (on the document I tried), you get transient appearance of the arrow.

At 500%, the cursor changes to an arrow and remains as an arrow the rest of the way to the vertical ruler.

At 600%, the cursor doesn't change to an arrow until it reaches the vertical ruler.

For a given display resolution, ruler width is constant anyway. Magnification just alters the scales. In doing so, though, it alters the location of the page margins set on the horizontal ruler. The smaller the magnification, the farther left the page margin is situated in the window. Once text crosses the imaginary line two ruler-widths from the left of the window, characters to the left of this line are inaccessible.

So there's some more hints. Advanced students will, of course, wish to investigate the situation regarding right-to-left text as well.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Hi all,

I second withoutFeather's request of adjustable margins in Draft View.

Made the same request in this Forum a while ago for the same reasons: viewtopic.php?t=11716

Best regards