Is it possible to add a watermark via a macro?

Get help using and writing Nisus Writer Pro macros.
ebarstad

Is it possible to add a watermark via a macro?

Post by ebarstad »

Is it possible to add a watermark to a document via a macro? I couldn't find any reference to "watermark" in the macro reference, and I didn't see anything on the forums when I searched. Currently, I'm using Keyboard Maestro to open the watermark dialogue, change the settings, and click the ok button. However, if there's a way to do it natively with a Nisus macro, I'd prefer to do it that way.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Is it possible to add a watermark via a macro?

Post by martin »

I'm afraid there are no built-in Nisus macro commands for manipulating watermarks. Your method of using GUI automation is the best you can do right now.

The problem is that the Nisus Writer macro language doesn't currently have access to section settings like watermarks. I'll take your question here as a vote that we consider enhancing this aspect of Nisus macros. Thanks for your feedback!
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, ebarstad et al

I guess it depends on why you want to do this.

If the reason you want to use a Macro is that you want to add the same watermark to a set of documents but don't want to step through the Watermark dialog box each time, the desired result might be achieved by setting up a watermarked but otherwise blank template document. This document could be saved as a Nisus New File or as a separate stationery pad. You might have a set of such stationery pads, each incorporating a different watermark.

If, however, you want to use a Macro to (for example) insert some sort of dynamic content (such as a time stamp) into the text field in the Watermark dialog box, you would need to wait until the Macro Language could accommodate this. Alternatively, you could view the raw RTF code in something like BBEdit and attempt to alter characteristics of the watermark there. This latter approach might involve using AppleScript to link the applications, but the whole thing could be run transparently from a Macro in Nisus Writer.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
ebarstad

Post by ebarstad »

Thanks for the reply, martin.

Thanks for the suggestion, adryan.