Creating extra lines between numbered list

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
MSNELL

Creating extra lines between numbered list

Post by MSNELL »

I'm new to Writer Pro. I'm wondering if there's a way to create a numbered list, and then possibly turn off the formatting feature for the list (while leaving the numbers there) ??

I'm trying to create a quick list of 50 items, then go back and add extra lines of text indented, below each original numbered line, while maintaining the 1-50 numbers.

At moment, I can't see a way around manually typing in the numbers on each line and not using "List" feature at all.

Thanks for any help,

Matt
MacBook Pro (mid-2015)
macOS X Big Sur 11.2.2
Nisus Writer Pro 3.2.1
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Creating extra lines between numbered list

Post by martin »

Hi Matt! Welcome to Nisus Writer Pro and our forums.

What you want is definitely possible. You can have automatically numbered list paragraphs with intervening non-list paragraphs. I suspect the trick you're missing is the ability to continue list numbering, so that an intervening non-list paragraph doesn't reset your list numbers. Is that your problem? If so, there are two ways you can continue numbering.

To continue list numbering everywhere in the document, for all paragraphs using this particular list style, you need to edit the list style like so:
1. Switch to the Style Sheet view, eg: use the menu View > Style Sheet.
2. From the list of styles on the left, select the list style.
3. From the settings on the left, checkmark the option "continue numbering across document content".
If you return to your document (eg: Page View) you should see that all your list numbers continue without restarting.

If you only want to continue numbering for particular paragraphs, then you can instead manually mark them. Just place the insertion point (caret) inside a paragraph and use the menu Format > Lists > Continue Numbering from Previous. This command is also available in a variety of other places like the List toolbar item and the Lists palette.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if I misunderstood your question.
MSNELL

Post by MSNELL »

Hi Martin,

Thanks so much! I did not understand how the "Levels" worked before, that was basically what I was after. Bouncing back and forth between Level 1 / Level 2.

One more question. (attached .rtf will make it clear). I would like to adjust indent parameters differently for Level 2 than Level 1 in this List Style. Level 1 covering entire page between margins, Level 2 being indented a bit on both sides. Is this possible within the List Style? Or do I need to combine and paragraph style with the list to achieve this?

And one other item I noticed (in attachment), when text carries over to a second line within Level 2, it seems to jump to a new line, away from the "bullet" it had been connected with. Any thoughts on why that happens?

Thanks again,

Matt
Attachments
List Levels Test.rtf
(16.98 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
MacBook Pro (mid-2015)
macOS X Big Sur 11.2.2
Nisus Writer Pro 3.2.1
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Happy to help you Matt!
MSNELL wrote: 2020-06-18 04:30:06 I would like to adjust indent parameters differently for Level 2 than Level 1 in this List Style. Level 1 covering entire page between margins, Level 2 being indented a bit on both sides. Is this possible within the List Style? Or do I need to combine and paragraph style with the list to achieve this?
List styles and their levels can only enforce head/left indents. If you want to add a tail/right indent you'll need to work through a paragraph style.

What I would do is create a new paragraph style. This new style can enforce not only your list style "Scene Header (w/ breaks)" and list level 2, but also a tail/right indent and any other settings you might like. Then when you're writing and want to create a sub-point you need only apply this single new paragraph style.
And one other item I noticed (in attachment), when text carries over to a second line within Level 2, it seems to jump to a new line, away from the "bullet" it had been connected with. Any thoughts on why that happens?
That only occurs because your gibberish text is very long and has no whitespace:

wrap1.png
wrap1.png (17.56 KiB) Viewed 5994 times

There's no way for "alskd..." to fit on the same line, so it wraps. If you insert a space to make your gibberish more like normal text, you'll see it wraps at the proper place:

wrap2.png
wrap2.png (18.88 KiB) Viewed 5994 times
MSNELL

Post by MSNELL »

Thanks so much :D

That answers my questions.

Matt
MacBook Pro (mid-2015)
macOS X Big Sur 11.2.2
Nisus Writer Pro 3.2.1