Text input too slow and jerky

Nisus Thesaurus, Nisus Writer Classic– this is the place for all other Nisus products.
haknet

Text input too slow and jerky

Post by haknet »

Hi,

I hope (or rather not) anyone of you had the same problem when typing text into Nisus. The problem is as follows:

Every time I am typing with some speed the input progress on screen pauses and a second later I've got too many of the same letters (it looks like this: "giiiveee").

Is there any way to avoid this? The computer I use is a MacMini, 1,2 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, fresh install, free HDD, Nisus version 6.

My ibook is working fine and very smooth with Nisus even if it has a slower processor: 900 Mhz, G3, 640 MB RAM and the HDD is almost full.

I think memory shortage is not the issue here because the "top" command in terminal does not show any pageout and sufficiently memory is allocated to Nisus. I did also turn off many extensions in OS9 which were not needed. No avail.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Regards.
rainsley

Slow typing

Post by rainsley »

I'm afraid I have no good news, haknet.

I've had the same problem using my old classic Nisus on my new eMac, running under Classic in OSX.

The same problem also affected my (legitimate, bought, licensed) Microsoft Word 98. It did not however, affect SimpleText or BBEdit (both Classic applications).

Both these applications worked fine on my old iMac running OS 9, of course.

The problem occurred even after reinstalling Classic; reinstalling Nisus; reinstalling Word 98; reinstalling the entire system software; rebuilding permissions; and disabling all fonts except Times, or Helvetica. No peripherals were attached, the eMac was not connected to the Internet, and the keyboard was the standard supplied model.

I spent eight fruitless calls to Apple's helpline, spending a total of about two hours on hold. After sending me a data-capture utility they came up with the lame conclusion that it was "a problem with third-party software" and that they couldn't do anything about it. (I was rather annoyed by this tacit admission, with no apology, that not all OS 9 software can be relied on to run on the eMac!)

My only recourse has been to buy the OS X version of Nisus, which is, thankfully, very reasonably priced. I can't afford the two-hundred-odd dollars to upgrade to the OS X version of Word, especially when it's such an awkward and cumbersome application by contrast, so I shall not be using it any more!
haknet

Post by haknet »

Thanks for taking the time to reply rainsley. It seems like we're really stuck here. As you said nobody knows anything about similar issues. I scanned all discussion forums known to me. Apple is forcing Classic users out. That's understandable from their point of view. But the best word-processor I've ever seen and worked with is still Nisus Classic. It handles large documents with an unseen ease.

I think I will never sell my G3 Ibook (Panther) that works extraordinarily well with Nisus and other Classic apps because you can't do rollbacks from Tiger Macmini (which I now own as well) to Panther. That's a thing I don't like about Apple. They're to stringent in policies. It would have been no problem for them to authorize at least Panther for Tiger machines because the first Minis were delivered with 10.3.7 Panther.

Well, anyway, fellows, don't buy Tiger at least until they get the issues solved. In addition to that the system doesn't run smoothly at all (jerky). Let's wait for the updates to come ...
haknet

Post by haknet »

Thanks for taking the time to reply rainsley. It seems like we're really stuck here. As you said nobody knows anything about similar issues. I scanned all discussion forums known to me. Apple is forcing Classic users out. That's understandable from their point of view. But the best word-processor I've ever seen and worked with is still Nisus Classic. It handles large documents with an unseen ease.

I think I will never sell my G3 Ibook (Panther) that works extraordinarily well with Nisus and other Classic apps because you can't do rollbacks from Tiger Macmini (which I now own as well) to Panther. That's a thing I don't like about Apple. They're to stringent in policies. It would have been no problem for them to authorize at least Panther for Tiger machines because the first Minis were delivered with 10.3.7 Panther.

Well, anyway, fellows, don't buy Tiger at least until they get the issues solved. In addition to that the system doesn't run smoothly at all (jerky). Let's wait for the updates to come ...
omegalinx

Re: Text input too slow and jerky

Post by omegalinx »

I am having exactly same problem. Initially its slow and jerky and then my Nisus crashes!!! :?