Express Sneak Peek Feedback Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Express Sneak Peek Feedback Thread

Post by dave »

If you would like to provide feedback, or comment on the sneak peek builds, feel free to post it in here.

We ask that you do not post about these builds in other threads, since we want to make sure that people who are looking for support do not get lost in a sea of comments about these builds.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
Spiros

Feedback on Alpha build

Post by Spiros »

Hi all,

First, I must say that this 2.5 build is indeed faster, as many have already pointed out but I seem to have found the one bug that makes it currently unusable, for me at least. I write in Greek and in order to add "tones" or accents to vowels, I press the semi-colon key and then the vowel.

Well, one, two, three...eleven vowels and almost as many crashes later, I'm afraid I can't use it. Virtually every time I press the semi-colon key Nisus comes across an 'internal error' just as I press the vowel. I realize, as a Greek user that my language is not one of the most used in the world, but 2.1.1 works flawlessly in this regard, if a little slow sometimes.

Again, I love the app, it's really fast and still the most elegant word processor around. I had absolutely no problems writing in English. I suppose I'm just waiting for this 'Greek vowel thingy' to be fixed.

Thanks,
Spiros
joao

Creating custom tool drawers

Post by joao »

One thing that I miss in the alpha is the ability to create custom tool drawers. I really do rely on the ability to do this - and to have more than four of them.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Importing Word documents with block quotes inserts a tab at the beginning of the blocked material.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Nitpicky: Can we get 1/8 inch markers in the ruler?
cchapin

Re: Creating custom tool drawers

Post by cchapin »

joao wrote:One thing that I miss in the alpha is the ability to create custom tool drawers. I really do rely on the ability to do this - and to have more than four of them.

I had created my own tool drawer arrangements and quickly noticed that the tool drawer was not customizable in 2.5 alpha 1. On the positive side, I like the simple icons instead of the menu at the top of the drawer. This makes switching between palette collections easier, relieving some of the frustration of not being able to customize.

Icons, however, make it tricker for users to add their own tool drawer configurations (if that ability is ever reintroduced). How about one more icon for customized drawer arrangements? Clicking on the icon could produce a menu of customized tool drawer arrangements if more than one exists.

--Craig
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

One thing that I miss in the alpha is the ability to create custom tool drawers. I really do rely on the ability to do this - and to have more than four of them.

I did, but I did create my own. I just added the ones I want to those which are found when you press the pencil icon.
Anne
JBL

Post by JBL »

It seems that you can't change the paragraph style of the first paragraph after a page break.
joao

Post by joao »

Anne Cuneo wrote:

I did, but I did create my own. I just added the ones I want to those which are found when you press the pencil icon.
I currently use six toodrawers, each of which has exactly the palettes that I want for a certain group of tasks (one for columns, one for language, one for certain kinds of formatting, etc.). It's worked really well for me, Now I'm stuck having to wedge them into four groups, and the icons don't necessarily represent what I want each tooldrawer to do.

I also prefer the text-based title for toodrawers rather than the icons. I don't have to memorize what what each icon stands for, especially now when the icons don't always match the tooldrawer contents. It's not a lot to memorize, but it's a bit of a distraction from writing, and Nisus has always been one of the best word processors in regard to removing distractions.
Cocoapastor

List Styles

Post by Cocoapastor »

I am impressed with how refined way the list styles have been implemented. I like the option to have the numbering continue throughout the document— great for headings.

One small problem: keyboard shortcuts for list styles are not saved when closing a document.
Cocoapastor

List Styles opened in Word

Post by Cocoapastor »

This is a delightful surprise: open an Express rtf document with numbered lists and bullets in Word and they are correctly numbered and bulleted!
Anne Cuneo

Tiger

Post by Anne Cuneo »

As there are two threads started by Dave about 2.5 Feedback, I ask the question both places: what about Nisus 2.5 and Tiger. Testers at www.cuk.ch, where I publish tests myself, tell me it does not work. Not being a Beta tester of OS 10.4 myself, I don't have Tiger and can't check.
Anne
MacUnix

Extra line breaks

Post by MacUnix »

I have a document created in 2.x that uses headers/footers and a lot of tables. I found that whenever 2.5a saves the document it inserts an extra newline in the header, footer and each table cell. My document grew with 3 pages after 3 saves.

I also lost my own made palette group selection.

I used a tiered list, and in the style sheet moved the text as close as possible to the numbers. When using the list, the deeper the level used, the more space between the last number and the text that followed it.

No other glitches found so-far. But I like the drop-down lists for pageview and tool-drawer instead of the currently used buttons. No way to access the extra created groups from the tool-drawer.

The big space before and after a table are gone now, thanks.

Ron
charles

Post by charles »

Hi everyone:

Thanks for your feedback on the palette groups. If we added another icon button that would pop-up custom palette group names, would that do the trick for those of you who miss creating your own palette groups?

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

No!!! I want fewer options and less control over the interface!! :P

Seriously, though. That would be very, very cool.