Transfering docs to and from Word

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
blurble

Transfering docs to and from Word

Post by blurble »

Does anyone have any tips for transfering NWE docs to and from Word without the formatting getting messed up?

I have particular problems with tables. Most of the time all the text in a table is made bold (this seems to happen when there is text before the table that is in bold), the alignment of the text in the table is wrong, and the font can be wrong.

I don't know which side is messing things up - is NWE writing RTF files incorrectly, or is Word reading them incorrectly?

What it means is that if I write something in NWE that I want to send to a Word user, I have to check it in Word to seem whether it is acceptable. That somewhat defeats the purpose of use NWE instead of Word.

Simon.
charles

Post by charles »

Simon:

The best way to determine this is for you to report this issue to us by choosing "Report a Bug..." in the "Help" menu in Nisus Writer Express. There you can attach a file that has the problem and we will take a look at it and get back to you, generally within a day or so.

Cheers,
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
blurble

Post by blurble »

Unfortunately I fixed up the document in Word and now it doesn't display the problem. I will forward it to you the next time it happens.
I've submitted several bugs in the last few days, so hopefully that will keep you busy :)
epicenter

can't even get the Word file to open

Post by epicenter »

I've just tried Nisus Writer for the first time, in 30-day trial mode (Mac OSX), and haven't yet managed to open the Word file I need at all. I've tried Open, drag & drop, Open With, and voodoo ;)

It could be that the files I chose to start with happen to be the worst start test (or best for bug-finding!) and are the rare exceptions that won't open.

Here's what I did:

When I open a TextEdit file, it does fine, and opens in RTF format. A Mac Word 5.1a file doesn't work (launches the application but opens nothing), so I converted a few files from 5.1 into Word 2001 and here's my result:

File 1 gets stuck on "Typesetting Text..." and never opens a file, nor does it respond to my clicking Cancel and I have to Force Quit NWE).

File 2 gets past "Typesetting Text..." (in grey instead of color!) but opens a blank page instead of the file (with the proper title though).

Files 3, 4, 5 open fine. The only difference seems to be that file 1 has borders formatted around the opening paragraph, and both files 1 & 2 have a section break.

So I started selecting parts of file 1 and pasting them into a copy of file 3 to see if it had an effect. Sure enough, I could get it to lock up on "Typesetting Text..." but not on any particular thing. When I thought I had the section that caused the lock, I pasted it in again and the file opened this time, but when I copied and pasted the whole contents again, I hade to Force Quit again. Weird!

Any suggestions? And any way to open a Wrod file with Borders properly portrayed? (even when it opens, it leaves out paragraph borders)
blurble

Post by blurble »

Maybe if you send the documents to Nisus they can have a look at them and sort out what the problem is.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

I ran into this problem a while back, but it was entirely related to footnotes. They would transfer from Word to Nisus just fine, but then when I'd try to re-open them in Word, they'd be messed up.