search field problems

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
tarakananda

search field problems

Post by tarakananda »

In Nisus Pro 3.2.2, when I do a search using "power find" and use "find special characters" and choose return, the word return appears, but it is half-way out of the search field, so that only the bottom of the text appears. The same goes for searching for other special characters. This makes it very difficult to see what I am doing a search for.

Is this a bug, or something to do with how I have Nisus set up? More importantly, how do I fix it?
adryan

Re: search field problems

Post by adryan »

G'day, tarakananda et al

This looks like a bug. A strange one, though, as the Special Character in the PowerFind field doesn't appear to have unusual spacing properties (line spacing, etc), and the vertical truncation appears to happen only when the Special Character is the first character in the Find field.

Pending a fix, one option would be to begin the Find expression with an ordinary character which you would delete after you have completed entering the Find expression and before executing the Find/Replace operation.

An alternative method would be to use PowerFind Pro and choose the Special Character you want from the drop-down menu just below "Find what:". But I encourage people to come to grips with grep and learn to use regular expressions with PowerFind Pro as their routine practice.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

This has already been raised…

viewtopic.php?t=12047

😄

Mark
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Mark et al

Thanks for that, Mark. It must have slipped under my radar. I see that Philip had already suggested the idea of adding and removing a dummy character.

Another way to continue using PowerFind is to copy a Special Character from your document (with Show Invisibles turned on) and paste it into the Find field. It shouldn't be hard to find at least one instance of the desired character. Note that the glyph will generally be surrounded by space (as distinct from a Space character) when you paste it. The resultant Find expression may not look all that elegant, but at least you can still see what you are searching for.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996