Page numbers and sections

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
madpoli

Page numbers and sections

Post by madpoli »

Two main questions. Has anyone had issues working with sections recently? I cannot manage to restart a page number in a new section. I have done this in the past, checked endless pages on this forum, but nothing. Is there an update...? I am running 3.2.2. I do not see updates.

Second, how to insert the page number in the margin? For formatting reasons not of my own choice, I need the number to be in the margin - in other words, not in the footer. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!!
Þorvarður

Re: Page numbers and sections

Post by Þorvarður »

madpoli wrote: 2022-03-02 12:32:14 I cannot manage to restart a page number in a new section. […] I am running 3.2.2. I do not see updates.
I have the same version, and I have no problems. Just a thought, are you sure you have ticked all the right boxes in the Section pane?

1.png
1.png (31.23 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
how to insert the page number in the margin?
You should be able to do this with Text Boxes. This can also be automated with a macro. Ask again in the Macros forum.

You might want to take a look at a thread there called "‪Incremental margin numbers in legal texts / Randnummern". It provides a macro for margin numbers, but it needs to be adjusted to fit your situation.
https://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... ern#p38180
madpoli

Post by madpoli »

Thank you for this. Here is how it looks for me:
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 7.45.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 7.45.31 PM.png (57.43 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
There is a page break bw the end of the table of content and the Beginning of prelude, but the page number starts at 1 with the table of content. Does it work only with section breaks?
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 7.46.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 7.46.07 PM.png (119.23 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
I will take a look at macros, thank you for that.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

madpoli wrote: 2022-03-11 16:47:10There is a page break bw the end of the table of content and the Beginning of prelude, but the page number starts at 1 with the table of content. Does it work only with section breaks?
That's correct. You can only restart page numbering on the page AFTER a section break. To do so place your selection anywhere in the text after the section break (i.e. in the relevant section) and then turn on the restart numbering checkbox.
I will take a look at macros, thank you for that
I don't recommend you that get macros involved. That shouldn't be necessary here.

You should be able to anchor a floating text box with the page number to your header. You can click into the header, insert a text box, and then insert an automatic page number into the text box. That should do it. You can now freely move the text box wherever you want, including the margin areas.
madpoli

Post by madpoli »

Understood. For some reason, I thought it was going to be valid for page breaks too.

I see what you are suggesting with the page numbering. Just to be clear, this is my situation: for portrait pages, inner margin are 1.5. For landscape, my university wants the top margin to be 1.5, and the page number to be on the side - I guess because in the printing / uploading phase, the landscape page will be flipped.

So I can use the text box to add the number on the side. How do I eliminate the page number in the footer? If I delete it, it deletes it for all sections. Just "hide footer" for the landscape section?
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

martin wrote: 2022-03-11 19:25:02You can click into the header, insert a text box, and then insert an automatic page number into the text box. […] You can now freely move the text box wherever you want, including the margin areas.
Hey, this is really cool! I had no idea that position margin numbers could be that easy.
Nisus (and you Martin) never stop amazing me. :–)

Thanks for the tip.
Last edited by Þorvarður on 2022-03-14 08:45:06, edited 1 time in total.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

madpoli wrote: 2022-03-12 09:01:12 How do I eliminate the page number in the footer? If I delete it, it deletes it for all sections. Just "hide footer" for the landscape section?
Hiding the footer in the landscape section sounds like the best solution. One alternative: you could turn on the "Difference Footers" option for the landscape section and then clear its footer.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Þorvarður wrote: 2022-03-13 21:22:37 Hey, this is really cool! I had no idea that position margin numbers could be so easy.
I'm glad this was a useful tip :) That technique is also a useful way to place other content on all pages in a document or section. Nisus Writer has a Watermark feature that allows similar things, but anchoring a floating image or text box to a header can be easier and more flexible.
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

A bit late to this thread, but could "Facing pages" solve the original request for page numbers that "float" depending on which page they are on in a book?

That is what they are for.