Corbel Font Getting Cut Off, Top of Page

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Anthony_Lis

Corbel Font Getting Cut Off, Top of Page

Post by Anthony_Lis »

Hello,

I recently updated to Nisus Writer Pro, on a Mac Powerbook. I've noticed that since updating, when I'm using Corbel font, the tops of letters get slightly/somewhat cut off when I reduce the line-spacing to 0.9 (which I prefer for my work). The letters also get cut off when pages are printed out. This didn't happen previously, and this doesn't happen with a few other fonts I've tried. Now, setting the line-spacing at 1.0 or 1.1 will give the characters the space in which to display properly. Any idea what causes this, or how to fix it? (Yes, I could change the font in many separate files that are part of a book draft I'm working on, but then that—plus the evitable re-formatting that will be needed—takes time. Thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Corbel Font Getting Cut Off, Top of Page

Post by martin »

Text clipping in such a situation may be unavoidable, depending on the font metrics. If the font's ascenders are too tall, and/or the font doesn't include enough leading, the tops of some letters may be clipped. It just depends on the font's geometry.

However, I'm not seeing that problem over here on my Mac. I tested using Corbel on macOS Monterey and these are the results with 0.9 line spacing:

corbel.png
corbel.png (32.85 KiB) Viewed 3176 times

You can see that none of the letters or special characters are clipped. What version of the font are you using? Font Book shows Corbel Version 5.61 for me.

I will say that trouble does appear eventually, once I decrease to 0.8 line spacing. Then the top of the letter "f" is slightly clipped.
Anthony_Lis

Post by Anthony_Lis »

Martin,

Thank you for your quick reply; interesting. I'm running a Mac updated to Big Sur 11.6. In my Font Book, I don't see where to look for information on the Corbel Font I have—where did you find that information with your Monterrey-equipped Mac? I also found some curiosities I should search on Mac forums for information about—I have an older version of Font Book with nothing in it, and, apparently multiple copies of Corbel font downloaded; I'm sure how that could have happened. I'm not sure if any of this has anything to do with the clipped letters problem.

Anthony Lis
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Font Book will probably show you the font version information even on older versions of macOS. I don't know exactly how to access it on Big Sur, but you might look at the View menu. It should have some kind of command to show font info/details for the selected font.

One quick aside: can you share a sample document that exhibits the clipper letters? I'd like to see if there are any other factors. You can attach a small file here, or email it to me privately at:

Anthony_Lis

Post by Anthony_Lis »

Martin, sorry to just now be getting back to you. I did keep track of a half-dozen or so examples in my work; you were saying it might be helpful to actually see my problem . . . I pasted them into a "page" of Nisus Writer Pro; should I make a PDF of that page and send it along, or is that too much to be sending to the forum?

Thanks,

Anthony
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I think it would be most helpful if you could send along a Nisus Writer document that exhibits the problem, not a PDF. The document's specific text, or how many pages, probably doesn't matter very much. It's likely a gibberish sentence will work as well as your actual pages.

The idea is that I can check to see if the same text clipping occurs on my Mac, or if the issue is somehow restricted to your setup. Thanks!
Anthony_Lis

Post by Anthony_Lis »

Martin,

OK, I typed something up in Nisus Writer Pro showing the clipped tops of letters, and finally figured out how to import the file as an attachment; thanks for any advice.

Anthony Lis
Attachments
Nisus Forum.rtf
(19.24 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the sample file Anthony. The results on my Mac are as follows:

font.png
font.png (11.69 KiB) Viewed 2842 times

That looks perfectly nice to me– no cutoff letters. So I can only recommend that you maybe try to resolve your multiple Corbel font versions. Maybe one of the older versions has poor font metrics on newer versions of macOS? I'm really not sure.
Anthony_Lis

Post by Anthony_Lis »

Martin,

Thanks for your advice; yes, I should tend to my multiple-versions-of-Corbel-font problem, and see if that changes things; I just haven't had a chance to tend to that yet.