Setting Nisus as default app for RTF and RTFD

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ugur

Setting Nisus as default app for RTF and RTFD

Post by ugur »

Hey all,

just purchased Nisus Writer Pro because I love how it is so much better than TextEdit and much cleaner than MS Word. Kudos to the devs.

I am trying to set Nisus as the default app for opening / editing RTF and RTFD files: Opened Finder app, right clicked on an RTF or RTFD file, went to the menu entry "Open with" > "Other", then selected Nisus Writer Pro and ticked the checkbox "Always open with".

So far so good.

Now whenever I double click an RTF or RTFD file, it sometimes opens in TextEdit anyways.

What is worse: When I open a file that I have created with Nisus, I get an error message telling me that the file is corrupted, and if I want to move it into the trash can.

I am guessing that TextEdit corrupts the files, so I wanted to remove the app, but apparently MacOS won't allow that.

Any help is appreciated.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Setting Nisus as default app for RTF and RTFD

Post by martin »

ugur wrote: 2022-02-13 10:55:50 just purchased Nisus Writer Pro because I love how it is so much better than TextEdit and much cleaner than MS Word. Kudos to the devs.
That's very kind of you– thank you!
I am trying to set Nisus as the default app for opening / editing RTF and RTFD files: Opened Finder app, right clicked on an RTF or RTFD file, went to the menu entry "Open with" > "Other", then selected Nisus Writer Pro and ticked the checkbox "Always open with".

So far so good.

Now whenever I double click an RTF or RTFD file, it sometimes opens in TextEdit anyways.

What is worse: When I open a file that I have created with Nisus, I get an error message telling me that the file is corrupted, and if I want to move it into the trash can.

I am guessing that TextEdit corrupts the files, so I wanted to remove the app, but apparently MacOS won't allow that.
It sounds like you encountered a macOS misbehavior that's described in this FAQ on Finder warnings. Maybe the error message is slightly different on your Mac, but the problem is the same: the Finder's "open with" settings have been broken for individual files on macOS for years now. It's frustrating.

The good news is that you can bypass this problem if you change your Finder preferences to always open all RTF files in Nisus Writer, which sounds like is what you want anyways. The trick is to use the "Change All" button in the "open with" settings. That process is described in this FAQ on avoiding TextEdit.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have any trouble or questions.
ugur

Re: Setting Nisus as default app for RTF and RTFD

Post by ugur »

The good news is that you can bypass this problem if you change your Finder preferences to always open all RTF files in Nisus Writer, which sounds like is what you want anyways. The trick is to use the "Change All" button in the "open with" settings. That process is described in this FAQ on avoiding TextEdit.
Excellent! This did the trick! Thank you very much.