infoclick update?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Amontillado

infoclick update?

Post by Amontillado »

On a serious note, updating my iMac went as expected.

My Macbook Air required me to enter my local password in an "Infoclick Update" window.

I don't think I have Infoclick installed, and I keep email in a Devonthink database, anyway.

Is this anything I should be concerned about?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: infoclick update?

Post by martin »

If you actually have InfoClick on your Mac, then installing the recent InfoClick update may indeed prompt you for your macOS admin password. That's required to replace the app on disk in the system-controlled Applications folder. That would not be concerning in any way.

But if you don't have InfoClick on your Mac, then what you say is naturally confusing and potentially concerning. I would say it's a very good rule to NEVER type your user/admin password into any dialog box you don't fully understand. Please think carefully before giving up your password to any app. Not only that you understand the purpose, but that you also trust whomever is asking.
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

I believe I may haver installed the Infoclick demo on my laptop at some point, but it would have been long ago.

Any thing I should look for? Mdfind infoclick doesn't locate anything that looks like infoclick. Is there a plist file that could have triggered the prompt?

Normally, I would not have entered the password, but because it came up on running the Nisus installer, which I strongly suspect is clean, I went for it.

I think I'll uninstall Nisus, the thought of which brings a tear to my eye, and reinstall.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Amontillado wrote: 2020-12-22 16:09:55 Any thing I should look for? Mdfind infoclick doesn't locate anything that looks like infoclick. Is there a plist file that could have triggered the prompt?
Unless you have the InfoClick app on your Mac, and it was actually running, InfoClick would not have shown a password prompt to install an update. A leftover installer or plist would never trigger a password prompt.
sjha

Post by sjha »

Martin, I also saw the InfoClick prompt to enter a password when updating NWP today. I have since found InfoClick Updater app in two places on my MacBook Pro.

The first is within the NWP package at /Applications/Nisus Writer Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Resources.

The second is at /Users/steveashcroft/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Data/Library/Caches/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Sparkle/Nisus Writer Pro 0502.0104.04/Nisus Writer Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Resources

In other words InfoClick is part of NWP. Is this as it should be?
sjha

Post by sjha »

And I've just downloaded a new copy of NWP and the InfoClick autoupdate app is there as part of the package.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Yes it's there in my two copies of NWP, but I haven't seen the prompt. I've never installed InfoClick on either of my machines, and one is running 10.13.6 and the other is running 10.15.7, if that is of any significance.

:)

Mark
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

I uninstalled Nisus, used mdfind to nuke everything related to Nisus, and on reinstallation I didn't see the Infoclick prompt.

It's possible I installed Infoclick at some point, but the more I think about it, the less likely I think that was. I'm pretty sure I never downloaded a trial.

As far as I can tell, everything is working fine.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

sjha wrote: 2020-12-24 04:10:39 I have since found InfoClick Updater app in two places on my MacBook Pro.

The first is within the NWP package at /Applications/Nisus Writer Pro.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Resources.
What you found there is the Sparkle automatic updater. It's included in most Nisus apps (including InfoClick), but it's not specific to InfoClick. The updater is responsible for updating whichever app in which it resides. For the path you gave above, that updater is responsible for updating Nisus Writer Pro. It has nothing to do with InfoClick.
In other words InfoClick is part of NWP. Is this as it should be?
Everything is as it should be. The updater may ask for your admin password in order to get permission from macOS to update the app on disk.

InfoClick is not part of Nisus Writer.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

After further investigation, there is indeed a mistake here. The Sparkle framework inside of Nisus Writer does incorrectly include an app called "InfoClick Autoupdate". This is purely a file naming error. The mistake occurred because the Sparkle framework is shared by several Nisus apps. The name of the updater is completely irrelevant. The updater still really has nothing to do with InfoClick.

We'll have to correct the name of the updater, though the correction will not be surfaced for some time. The mistakenly named updater inside the current version of Nisus Writer Pro (3.2.1) will be responsible for installing the next future version. Only after installing this hypothetical future update will be errant name be fixed on disk. So the correct name will only be visible two future versions later.

Sorry for the confusion folks!
chronodm

Post by chronodm »

Thanks for the clarification.