don't understand how to type header shortcuts

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ronald

don't understand how to type header shortcuts

Post by ronald »

Hello,
I don't understand the header shortcuts ⌘H1,2,3 etc
As soon as I type ⌘H, the frontmost window is hidden. It's a Mac OS command
thank you
adryan

Re: don't understand how to type header shortcuts

Post by adryan »

G'day, ronald et al

For a start, what you are referring to are Paragraph Styles for headings, not a Header.

For me, both ⌘H and ⌘H1 work as expected, each doing their own thing.

Despite a concerted effort, I cannot find the ⌘H command anywhere in Keyboard Shortcuts, so I am not sure how one would alter it, unless it's by deliberately creating another command with the same keystroke sequence and then resolving the conflict that should arise.

Be that as it may, I suspect that the way the computer distinguishes between ⌘H and ⌘H1 depends on keystroke timing. On my computer, in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard (sic), I have Key Repeat set to 7/8 and Delay Until Repeat set to 3/6. And I type the “1” fairly quickly after the preceding “H”.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

I don't understand the header shortcuts ⌘H1,2,3 etc
As Adryan already remarked, you are referring to a keyboard shortcut for a heading, not a header.

⌘H1,2,3 etc. is an example of assigning keyboard shortcuts to menu commands (or macros) with sequential multi-key shortcuts. Sounds bombastic, I know, but be assured, this is certainly one of the best features in Nisus and the one I'm sure you will love. It simply means, you can press and hold down any modifier key(s) you like (shift, ctrl, option, command) and then type additionally, while you still hold down the modifier key(s), any character you see on your keyboard, one after the other. There seems to be no limitation for how many characters you can type. This makes it easy to remember (long) keystrokes.

Example: Suppose you have a clean-up macro that fixes typos, wrong punctuation and bad formatting. How would you create a keyboard shortcut for this purpose and be sure you'll permanently remember it? Well, why not just use the shortcut Cmd+cleanup (without the plus sign)?

Another example: I often need to make the structure of a chain of arguments clear by inserting (1), (2), (3), (4), (5), (6) before each argument. Having to type brackets and numbers each time I wanted to make something clear, would drive me crazy. Therefore I create macros for this. Each macro consists of only one line. The macro for inserting (1) reads: Type Attributed Text "(1) ". The macro for inserting (2) reads: Type Attributed Text "(2) ", and so forth.

Now, to invoke each macro I use these keyboards shortcuts: ComN1, ComN2, ComN3, ComN4, ComN5, ComN6, etc. This means, if I press and hold down the command key and then type "n" (without the quotes, n stands for 'number', of course) followed by 2, Nisus will insert (2) into my document.

As a side-note (and if you have not begun to use macros yet): if you don't want a red number, then you can change the number color to black or use the command Type Text "(2)".

You could, theoretically, also create a keyboard shortcut like Com+number1 (without the plus sign), but that would defeat the purpose because it's too long. It takes more time to write the shortcut than writing the brackets and the number. :–)
Last edited by Þorvarður on 2020-11-16 08:23:15, edited 1 time in total.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

I'm going to take a stab that Ronald is asking a much simpler question.

In Nisus we have multi-key shortcuts. The important point is to hold the command key as you type the sequence of keys that make up the shortcut. So if the shortcut is <cmd>H1. You should do the following:
  1. Press and hold the <command key>
  2. Press the "H" key
  3. Press the "1" key
  4. Release the <command> key
The important point is to not let go of the <command> key until the shortcut has been completely typed out.
philip
ronald

Post by ronald »

thank you very much to the three of you for you help and patience with a basic question
ronald

Post by ronald »

When you address a reply to someone, how do you “notify” them ?
In other forums, I type @ and a list of users who posted in the topic is listed.
thank you