How to construct search word which is in bold

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
vwnisus

How to construct search word which is in bold

Post by vwnisus »

I am trying to get to grips with searching with formatting - in this case I wish to replace one word which is in bold with the same word without bold. Reading through the relevant sections of the manual on find and replace I cannot exactly work out how to do this.

In the attached file I would like to replace the word Horton in bold with Horton not in bold.

Any help would be gratefully received.
Attachments
AT Poeton (Gloucester Plating) Ltd and another v Horton.rtf
(39.96 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
adryan

Re: How to construct search word which is in bold

Post by adryan »

G'day, vwnisus et al

I suggest you copy an instance of the boldfaced word in the document and paste it into the Find field of the Find & Replace dialog box, and also into the Replace field there.

Select the word in the Replace field and "unbold" it.

Tick the following checkboxes: Formatting Sensitive, Whole Word, Replace Formatting.

That should do it.

The reason for these machinations is that the word in the document may contain formatting additional to boldface. Merely typing the word into the Find field and boldfacing it there may not find the word in the document if the Formatting Sensitive checkbox is ticked and additional formatting is actually present in the document.

And make sure you really do want to change all occurrences of the word. Look at the first line, for example.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, all

Oh, and be aware that there is a bug in Replace All in NWP 3.0.3, such that the replacement is not necessarily immediately reflected in the document. You need to click on the document once in order to return to it from the F/R dialog box and then click on it again to force a refresh. I've drawn this to Martin's attention, and it should be fixed in the next update.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
vwnisus

Post by vwnisus »

Adrian,

Thank you very much for the helpful information. Problem solved...

Victor