NWP 3.0 and Erroneous Spellcheck

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Targuman

NWP 3.0 and Erroneous Spellcheck

Post by Targuman »

Loving version 3 and so far have not had any show-stopping issues. There is one annoying bug: I see words like "of" and "your" being labelled as misspelled (red dotted underline) when they are correct.
  • The words flagged seem random, there is no consistency
  • This is in documents saved recently in the prior version with no language issues that I can see (although the docs do have Hebrew in them, but NOT near the highlighted words).
  • "right clicking" to bring up contextual menu shows the normal menu, as if there is NO spelling error.
  • Closing and opening the file does not change the condition, those same random words appear with the red dotted underline until I edit them.
It is annoying but it does not impede work.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: NWP 3.0 and Erroneous Spellcheck

Post by martin »

I'm really glad to hear that you're enjoying Nisus Writer Pro 3 so far, but I am sorry that spellchecking is misbehaving. It does seem like this is probably a new bug in version 3.
Targuman wrote: 2018-11-05 07:42:50
  • Closing and opening the file does not change the condition, those same random words appear with the red dotted underline until I edit them.
This is good news, because it should help us track down the bug and get it fixed. Would you be able to send us one of the affected documents via the menu Help > Send Feedback? We'd like to have a look to see if the errant misspellings reproduce.

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the nuisance. I know those misspelling squiggle markings can be distracting when you're trying to write.
Targuman

Post by Targuman »

Thanks Martin! It has been sent. There are only a couple of items in this document, so I sent you a screen shot of one. Could this be a grammar check bug? (I do not think I have it turned on, but I do not see any controls other than "Show Spelling and Grammar.") The instances might be aligned with grammatical issues rather than spelling. In which case, it is still wrong ;-) and should be a different color to distinguish them.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thank you very much for the report and document! We've replied privately already, but the short answer is that we can't reproduce this bug (for now) but hopefully we can continue to work together to narrow it down.

And this isn't a grammar checker bug, as Nisus Writer doesn't mark or flag grammar issues.
Targuman

Post by Targuman »

Thanks Martin! I will follow up later today. Good to know about how grammar is being treated (or not). So why does it say "Show Spelling and Grammar" if it doesn't actually mark or flag grammar issues? That is misleading...
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for your help!
Targuman wrote: 2018-11-05 13:17:30So why does it say "Show Spelling and Grammar" if it doesn't actually mark or flag grammar issues? That is misleading...
Where are you seeing that? I don't see that menu anywhere. None of my menus here have the word Grammar on them:
spell.png
spell.png (69.8 KiB) Viewed 24659 times
Targuman

Post by Targuman »

Right there in the app, under the edit menu.
Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 6.01.24 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 6.01.24 PM.jpg (200.51 KiB) Viewed 24656 times
Targuman

Post by Targuman »

UPDATE: When I closed all open files, then quit NWP 3 and reopened it, the menu references to grammar disappeared.
hatchmo

Post by hatchmo »

Your problem could be the language chosen for spell check.
I have a similar problem with correctly spelled words being flagged as incorrect.
I have posted the issue in another thread:
Spell Check Language Not Changeable
http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 289#p31500
Al Hatch
Targuman

Post by Targuman »

I have checked that and we are trying to narrow it down with Nisus.
jrochest

Post by jrochest »

I have a similar issue -- NWP 3.0 flags EVERYTHING as incorrect. It's only just started to do this -- that is, it wasn't doing it at 2 pm and it is now at 4:30 pm. I must have turned something on, but I'm damned if I know what. I have to turn off check spelling as you type in order to make the red rash go away!

I'm using the Canadian spelling dictionary, if that helps at all.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

There are some spellchecking irregularities in Nisus Writer Pro 3 that we're still investigating. They come in different forms, but this is one that we've identified and already understand:
jrochest wrote: 2018-11-15 14:29:17NWP 3.0 flags EVERYTHING as incorrect. It's only just started to do this -- that is, it wasn't doing it at 2 pm and it is now at 4:30 pm.
This bug can occur after visiting the Languages preference pane. You can clear the problem by quitting Nisus Writer and relaunching it. This particular bug will be fixed in the next software update. Sorry for the nuisance!
Jtummins

Post by Jtummins »

I'm seeing the same problem with everything being marked as misspelled. I was able to work around the problem this way.
  • Open the spelling window (Edit > Spelling > Spelling Window..., or Cmd-: )
  • Select all of the text in the document (Cmd-A)
  • Change the spelling dictionary to something besides your default. In my case I'm using English (US) as my default dictionary. I changed it to Tech (email)
  • Change the spelling dictionary back to the desired default
I saw this in one document. This process seemed to fix the problem, at least temporarily.
Wizardiaoan

Post by Wizardiaoan »

All my docs have the spellchecking bug where almost everything is a red line except a few words like "to" and "and." I'll send a doc to support.
ToddO

Post by ToddO »

Was this one ever figured out? I get *certain* correctly spelled words flagged as incorrect at the end of sentences. One example:

> They never knew where they were.

Were is flagged as incorrect. This also happens with some versions of the word to/too at the last word position. Sometimes quitting and restarting fixes it, sometimes not.