Remove styles

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Yohanan

Remove styles

Post by Yohanan »

Hi,
Why does the pop menu "Remove character style"in NW pro or "Remove paragraph style" not function (style is still there after the operation)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Remove styles

Post by martin »

Those menus should work correctly. But to be clear, they only remove proper styles defined in the stylesheet like "Emphatic" or "Heading 1". Those commands do not remove manually applied formatting (eg: formatting applied via menus like Format > Font).

Please let me know if you think the commands are still not working correctly. If so, it may be helpful if you share a sample document with us, that shows the problem.
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

To add to what Martin said, if you need to remove everything, the "remove attributes and styles" command in the Format menu should get rid of everything. Your text will then be default, whatever your default is.

The commands you reference are meant to be a little more fine tuned that just nuking all formatting information from orbit.
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Hi again,
I am rather happy with Nisus, but still a little bit concerned about the stability of my choices regarding the styles. Each time I open a document, I get only some of my preferred own defined style. Sometimes I am used to import form My Library Style and again I have to check all the desired ones. But some times too, I am not offered that possibility. If I click the cogwheel symbol down the style sheet view and select import from library an empty window opens and I canot select my own library which is in the Nisus Project file on my Hard Disk (Home). Can anyone show me what I miss here ? I would be very pleased to have this Library one and for all available for all of my thousands of documents.
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

where is my last post gone ?
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Let's try to clarify how things work:

If you create a new file in Nisus, the styles you get will be the ones that exist in the "Nisus New File". If you have favorite styles that you would like to appear in every newly created file you should edit the "Nisus New File" which can be done in "Nisus Preferences > New File". Choose the "Advanced" tab, choose the "Nisus New File" and click on "Open for Editing" .

Existing files always have (only) the styles that were added during editing. Changes to the "Nisus New File" do not affect them.

Make sure your Style Library really is your Style Library. Open the Document Manager window and click on "Style Library" in the side bar (or use the menu command "Insert > New Style > Show Style Library"). If this shows a blank window, then Nisus has not properly registered your Style Library (or the styles therein). You should be able to drag the files containing your favorite styles, or even the individual styles, into the Style Library and they will then be added/registered. I believe it is possible for the folder that you think of as your "Style Library" to contain files that are not registered as Style Library files/collections, so be careful to add your Style Libraries through the Nisus commands.

You can add styles from your Style Library to existing files in many different ways:
  • Open the Document Manager, click on the Style Library, choose a collection, drag all or individual styles from the collection to the file where you want to add them
  • Use the menu command "Insert > New Style > Import from Style Library…". This will give you a window with checkboxes. Check the styles you want to add
  • You can drag styles from file to file. Switch to the Style Sheet in the origin window. The target window can be in any view.
  • Copy text with the desired style(s) applied and paste it into the target file. You can immediately delete the text again, but the styles should remain.
There may be other methods I am forgetting.

Finally remember that the Style Library is just a convenient repository. Once a style has been added to a file it becomes it's own thing, and changes to it will not "percolate back" to the Style Library or other files. Similarly, if you edit the styles in the Style Library, this will not affect any files that were created previously. If you want changes to a style to update, you need to re-import them. Choose "Replace Existing" when the style conflict dialog appears.
philip
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Thank you. I open the Doc Manager and find no such a thing as Style Library, only a series of buttons to define the "File Listing Options". The second way however is ok, I see "My Own Library" as I named it. It has lost all my previously defined styles. Now if I do as I understand you recommend (I guess I am wrong somewhere), it just brings the content of the chosen file into this Library which appears like a document window.
I guess this is my fault and I underestimated the need to learn systematically the Tutorial Manual of Nisus. Problem is until the summer it will be difficult for me to take a few days to consecrate them to read and explore the Manual.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your generous help.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Hi again Yohanan,
Yohanan wrote:Thank you. I open the Doc Manager and find no such a thing as Style Library, only a series of buttons to define the "File Listing Options".
You are looking at the "Nisus Preferences > Document Manager".

What I mean is you should open the Document Manager itself ("Window > Document Manager"). In the sidebar there should be the Style Library:
docman.jpg
docman.jpg (65.69 KiB) Viewed 15068 times
[Picture taken from Nisus.com website.]

Anyhow once you have located that, try dragging the files from your "My Own Library" folder into that Style Library.
philip
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

But even without the Document Manager you should be able to add things to the Style Library:
  1. Open a file (for example one of the files in your "My Own Library" folder
  2. From "Insert > New Style" choose "Save to Style Library"
This will add all the styles into your Style Library as a collection, with the collection having the name of the file that you opened in step 1.
philip
Yohanan

Unstable styles library

Post by Yohanan »

each time I reopen a document I have already used in Nisus, I get in the View/Style Sheet all kind of styles I had already deleted from it (lists, labels with numbers, etc.) It appears there probably is some unstability with this feature in Nisus, unless there is a level of defining this I have not seen yet. Any clue to solve this would be very welcome.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Yohanan wrote:each time I reopen a document I have already used in Nisus, I get in the View/Style Sheet all kind of styles I had already deleted from it (lists, labels with numbers, etc.) It appears there probably is some unstability with this feature in Nisus, unless there is a level of defining this I have not seen yet. Any clue to solve this would be very welcome.
I am pretty sure that there is no instability in this feature. I am little worried about how you describe the problem ("labels with numbers"?)
Nisus has 4 types of styles.
  • Character
  • Paragraph
  • Note
  • Lists
They're clearly labelled in the sidebar of the Style Sheet view. The Note styles are special. Nisus controls those. I think you can delete them, but if you insert a Foot/Endnote Nisus will bring them back. But the other three types can be added and deleted as you please. And if you delete them and save and close the file, they will stay deleted. You will have to recreate (or re-import) them. If you delete a style that is not used in a document, it will just vanish. If you delete a style that is used in some capacity in the document, you will get a warning, and you will have to confirm before Nisus deletes the style. But if you do it will be gone.

If you really believe you have a document with styles that can't be deleted, you should either describe the steps you are taking in a comprehensible way, and perhaps you might consider posting the file here. Or perhaps the best idea would be to use the "Send Feedback…" in the "Help" menu and send your file to Nisus. They are very helpful people.

Good luck with your problem. I hope you find the solution.
philip
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Thank you, I can delete the styles, this is not a problem, and I did it again this morning. The question is why should I do this again and again ? I deleted some 80 styles.
Is there not a possibility to have one and only one Style Library for all doc I open ?
BTW the so called "My Own Library" of styles had disappeared this morning and I created a new one (with a slightly different name).
I wil see if I can keep this one.
As for the styles, sometimes I have more than 80 in the paragraph style with the word Label in it; sometimes I have several of them in the characters styles named: List Label 1, List Label 2, List Label 3, etc.

So I guess I have to understand how to impose on anyone of my old docs the customised library of styles, on condition that such a manipulation is possible.
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

I also tried to open from within the Nisus Project Folder My Own Style Library and it opens a document on which ONE of my styles name is written at the top of the page.
If I try to open the template I have created a few days ago named Nisus New File.dot, the Mac attempts to open it with Pages and I get the following message:
Ooops I cannot insert the screenshot here. But it says that Pages cannot import a rtf doc.

Ideally I should take some holidays and study one or two of the Word processors I bought in an attempt to replace Word 2016 which crashed totally. A very bad experience with Nota Bene added to the stress these days. Unfortunately, vacations are not in view and I will have to go on hobbling my way.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

OK. Now I am starting to see where (some of) your problems are.
Yohanan wrote:Thank you, I can delete the styles, this is not a problem, and I did it again this morning. The question is why should I do this again and again ? I deleted some 80 styles.
Is there not a possibility to have one and only one Style Library for all doc I open ?
Well, as I said before, Nisus respects the individual style sheet of your document. If your document is already created and has 80 styles in it, Nisus will respect that. It will not change that. I assume that you are importing documents that you created in Microsoft Word. If Word fills your documents with styles, and you open the document in Nisus, Nisus will assume that you want those styles, and it will not touch them. If you want to delete them you will have to tell Nisus. And you will have to do so for each file. Sorry.
But quite frankly that is what we want. I don't want my tool to rearrange my work without asking me. That's why I don't use Word (if I can help it.)

Having said that there may be some ways to simplify and (semi-)automate this process. But before we go there, it might be a good idea to clarify your workflow.
Yohanan wrote:BTW the so called "My Own Library" of styles had disappeared this morning and I created a new one (with a slightly different name). I wil see if I can keep this one.
I'm not sure why this should happen. What is this "My Own Library"? Is this a folder on your mac?
As I tried to explain previously, if you want a Style Library, use the one that Nisus provides in the Document Manager. Don't try to create your own. Only the Nisus will work with commands like Import from Style Library… etc.
Yohanan wrote:As for the styles, sometimes I have more than 80 in the paragraph style with the word Label in it; sometimes I have several of them in the characters styles named: List Label 1, List Label 2, List Label 3, etc.
This is Microsoft Word's fault. If you don't want them you'll have to delete them. Once for each file.
Yohanan wrote:I also tried to open from within the Nisus Project Folder My Own Style Library and it opens a document on which ONE of my styles name is written at the top of the page.
By "Nisus Project Folder" you mean the folder in the Finder? Don't go to the Finder, use the Document Manager window inside Nisus. Either way, Nisus Style Library files are just repositories for style information. You don't actually want to open them. When you ask Nisus to save a file as a Style Library, it makes a copy of the file and removes all the text from the copy. These files are only meant to be used to save and import styles.
Yohanan wrote:If I try to open the template I have created a few days ago named Nisus New File.dot, the Mac attempts to open it with Pages and I get the following message: … Pages cannot import a rtf doc.
First, don't open the Nisus New File.dot file from the Finder. Open it from the Nisus Preferences. The Nisus New File is a ".dot" file and trying to open it directly will only create a new untitled file.
Second, the open with Pages issue is an Apple problem. You should reset your Finder preferences to open ".rtf" files with Nisus (or some rtf capable program) rather than the piece-of-trump that is Pages.
Yohanan wrote:So I guess I have to understand how to impose on anyone of my old docs the customised library of styles, on condition that such a manipulation is possible.
Everything is possible. Gotta run.
philip
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Thank you for so much good will to help Phillip. I might have been imprecise in my description and this could explain why this conversation begins to resemble the chess party through mail described by Woody Allen in his "Philosophical Essays" :). Mea culpa, for the best I have to do now is, in the hope that the manual is explicit and complete, to take some time to study the NW Pro, and then decide if I keep using it.
I wish you a nice week-end.