Update for High Sierra?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
telemachos

Update for High Sierra?

Post by telemachos »

Has anyone tried NWP 2.1.7 with a beta of High Sierra?

Is there going to be a maintenance update?
Vanceone

Re: Update for High Sierra?

Post by Vanceone »

I'm sure Nisus is testing it out. However, from my research of High Sierra, while it has a lot of under the hood changes, not many appear likely to affect Nisus any.

Past history would indicate that about 2 months after High Sierra's release, we'll get a Nisus update that fixes any major issues that crop up.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, all

From reports I’ve seen so far, upgrading to High Sierra is likely to be quite problematic, given its new file system. It’s somewhat disingenuous of Apple to include the word “Sierra” in the name. As I understand it, some backup strategies still need to be carefully thought through by the utility-makers, which just goes to show that there is a lot at stake here. Throw in changes to iTunes, as well as in app syncing between Macs and iPhones, and I for one am very wary about an early upgrade. I will probably hold off for quite some months. But I will be very interested to hear reports from the more intrepid.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
dshan

Post by dshan »

So far so good with NWP 2.1.7 under High Sierra. Haven't run into any issues thus far, but I've done only pretty simple editing and stuff.

My mid-2010 MBP with Crucial SSD (and FileVault 2 encryption) upgraded to 10.13 with only a minor issue (final reboot didn't complete, just hung there unresponsive with black screen for 15+ minutes. I had to manually power it off and on again to get login prompt) and has been running fine since. Despite Apple apparently saying 3rd party SSDs won't get switched to APFS during upgrade mine did.
ScottinPollock

Post by ScottinPollock »

dshan wrote:Despite Apple apparently saying 3rd party SSDs won't get switched to APFS during upgrade mine did.
Where has Apple said this?
dshan

Post by dshan »

ScottinPollock wrote:Where has Apple said this?
Here: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09 ... view/2/#h2

"Apple told us that third-party SSDs installed in older Macs wouldn’t be converted automatically, but I've found some posts from people running the betas who say their third-party drives were converted."
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

For what it's worth, so far we haven't seen any new issues in Nisus Writer that are specific to High Sierra– neither in our own testing nor in any user reports to us.
GrahamF

Post by GrahamF »

Martin, I have only recently converted to NWP and find your reply most reassuring. I will be making a presentation to my computer group at the end of the month and I'm sure this question will be on their minds.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

GrahamF wrote:Martin, I have only recently converted to NWP and find your reply most reassuring. I will be making a presentation to my computer group at the end of the month and I'm sure this question will be on their minds.
Ah well, welcome to Nisus Writer and the forums Graham. Please let us know if any other questions come up during your group meeting.
dmgropp@gmail.com

Post by dmgropp@gmail.com »

When I upgraded to High Sierra, my SBL Hebrew SIL Keyboard driver disappeared in the flag window. When I tried to reinstall it from the SBL site, I got a dialogue box that I would have to get it from the App Store. When I went to the App Store, I couldn't find it. Has anyone else had this problem? Solutions?