Delete empty page (no text field)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
billmounce

Delete empty page (no text field)

Post by billmounce »

Somehow I got an empty page in my document that does not have a text field. Does anyone know how to delete it?
adryan

Re: Delete empty page (no text field)

Post by adryan »

G’day, billmounce et al

View > Show Invisibles

This should reveal a Page Break or a Section Break that you can delete.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
billmounce

Post by billmounce »

I did that, but the issue is that there is no text field on the page and hence no place for the page break.
billmounce

Post by billmounce »

Here is a screen shot
Attachments
Nisus Writer ProScreenSnapz001.png
Nisus Writer ProScreenSnapz001.png (30.46 KiB) Viewed 16624 times
billmounce

Post by billmounce »

I got it. The section was set to the next EVEN page, hence the jump over the page. Thanks.
nostrand

Post by nostrand »

No! There are a couple of erratic bugs in Nisus at the moment. I get erratic blank page insertions without a preceding section break of any sort. Yes, I have invisibles turned on. I have had invisibles turned on for years.

I believe that there are "invisibles" which are used by Nisus for internal text mark up which are not shown by "show invisibles". If you get something like this in your file, then you pretty much have to cut chunks out by trial and error until the offending encoding is gone. You can then try fiddling the extracted text in a separate file and re-insert it or retype the section. Yes, this is painful. I also get erratic failures of new section next odd page where Nisus fails to skip a page. There is also an acknowledged bug in the formatting of multi-column indices. Hopefully, there will be an update in the not too distant future. I can usually work around these. The problems with multi-column indices (and possibly regular multi-column formatting) can often be solved by inserting or deleting newline paragraph invisibles at the end of the list. However, I have even seen the bottom row (or rows) of a multi-column index cut off either in the middle of the line (only the upper half of the characters showing) or with one or more rows completely missing. Finally, there is some sort of problem with Adobe Fonts at the moment. For example, the tops (and especially superscripts) of Adobe Caslon are decapitated when they occupy the top line of the page. While I am told that the problem lies with Apple, there is one other font problem. It is not possible to switch directly between certain pairs of fonts. For example, if I want to switch from Adobe-Caslon to Monotype-Bembo (as I recall) I have to go through Times in order to accomplish this. Apparently, index tags remember font. I still have Caslon showing up when I generate an index and have to manually switch the font to Bembo after the index has been generated.
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

@nostrand, I came here to seek help for exactly this problem! I get sporadic blank pages with nothing on them, show invisibles does not show anything, zap gremlins does not help, and this can happen in the middle of a 15 page (for example) chapter so it is not an odd/even chapter alignment issue (which I set explicitly and that seems to work except when one of these bank pages appear).

Basically, just fumbling around I have been able to remove them but I have one now that just won't go away. This is a single column document.

Does anyone have any solutions? It is a show stopper for me getting this book out.
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

A couple of possibilities: if a graphic is involved, that very frequently can cause extra page insertions as text tries to flow or the pagination algorithm tries to place it and fails, so it moves it and accompanying text to the next page.

Second, and the manual talks about this: if you have a header or footer that is somehow an "even/odd" header or footer, Nisus will show a "empty" page sometimes to accommodate that even/odd header or footer.

Sometimes a large table will cause this issue as well, as it tries to flow over multiple pages. And the footnote system can do it too, though almost always in that case it's an extra page at the end of a section that is blank.

I once fixed an issue that turned out to be gremlins from track changes that were still lingering--the change was there, but the text it was attached to was gone. If you've ever turned on track changes, perhaps see if any changes need to be accepted or denied.

Best advice I can give though is to submit the document to Nisus through the Help menu and let them look at it.
mhackney

Post by mhackney »

Hmm, now in multiple cases, simply closing Nisus and reopening the document fixes the problem.
Bryand

Post by Bryand »

I have experienced this on a number of occasions. There is no apparent reason for it, an, as others have noted, there are no codes to delete when opening invisibles.
Today, it happened again at the end of a long document when a paragraph carried over to the next page but left an "empty page". Another full page of typing prompted the introduction of another empty page.
My solution to this (as I have done many times before) into save and close the document and re-open. The empty pages disappear and the document is normal.
It is, however, an annoyance. I had rather hoped that Nisus Pro 3 would have eliminated this long standing issue.