Language palette with Japanese

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
mountainman

Language palette with Japanese

Post by mountainman »

I most often work in English and Japanese. When the cursor is in English text, the Nisus Thesaurus -- or the dictionary, if the word is misspelled -- is active, but if the cursor is in Japanese text, it previously just went blank. However, in Pro version 2.1 I notice that when the cursor is in Japanese text, the Language Palette shows definitions from one of the Japanese dictionaries installed in Dictionary.app. Is this because of a change made by Nisus, or by Apple? Also, would it be possible to make it show a different dictionary or the Japanese thesaurus which I also have installed in Dictionary.app?

If my forum search missed an existing answer to this, please point it out to me. Thanks.
Hamid

Re: Language palette with Japanese

Post by Hamid »

mountainman wrote:Also, would it be possible to make it show a different dictionary or the Japanese thesaurus which I also have installed in Dictionary.app?
In Dictionary app Preferences, in the list of dictionaries installed, check the box next to the name of the dictionary for its suggestions to appear in NWP's Language Palette. Also, in Dictionary app Preferences, you can drag and drop a dictionary name higher up the list of dictionaries to set the order of its priority.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

mountainman wrote:However, in Pro version 2.1 I notice that when the cursor is in Japanese text, the Language Palette shows definitions from one of the Japanese dictionaries installed in Dictionary.app. Is this because of a change made by Nisus, or by Apple?
This is a change we made for Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) version 2.1. If NWP doesn't have any spelling or thesaurus suggestions for you, it will now default to showing you an entry from the system dictionary.
Also, would it be possible to make it show a different dictionary or the Japanese thesaurus which I also have installed in Dictionary.app?
Which dictionary is consulted is decided by the system (OSX). However, you can influence this decision by using Hamid's advice to open Apple's Dictionary application and adjusting its preferences.
mountainman

Post by mountainman »

Thanks. The Language Palette appears to display an entry from the Japanese reference placed highest on the list in Dictionary.app preferences. I also use Chinese, and it works for that language, too.