Tall characters getting cut off

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
dboyk

Tall characters getting cut off

Post by dboyk »

Hi all,

I recently upgraded, finally, to NWP 2 and was disappointed that a problem I've had for years has still not been fixed. Essentially, tall characters on the top line of a field will be cut off. Typically, this means superscript footnote numbers will be missing their tops, but it also includes diacritics on capital letters (Ö, Ā, É, etc.). It seems like some fonts include more whitespace above the characters, and also place their superscripts at different heights, because a lot of common fonts (e.g., Times, Garamond, Palatino, Gentium, and Verdana) are not affected. However, several fonts that I like to use are affected, to varying degrees (these include Adobe Text Pro, which I've used in the attached image, and Garamond Premier Pro; Hoefler is mostly OK but you can see a little bit of this effect with the character É). Also, this problem appears in printouts as well as in NWP itself.

Any tips for solving this problem (preferably not "just don't use those fonts")? I've tried increasing the footnote gutter, which doesn't solve the problem and also doesn't apply to the main text area. I've also tried lowering the baseline, which does work but at the cost of increasing the leading between lines. Since spacing is added above lines, rather than below, decreasing the line spacing to compensate reintroduces the problem. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
cutoff.gif
cutoff.gif (78.53 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
adryan

Re: Tall characters getting cut off

Post by adryan »

G’day, all

I looked at "Lorem ipsum” text in Hoefler Text with line spacing of 1 line and before and after paragraph spacing of 0 pt.

On changing a character in the top line to “É”, the accent mark was indeed obscured, but only if I set line spacing to “Fixed” instead of “Multiple”. I usually use the latter.

Hope this helps.
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
dboyk

Re: Tall characters getting cut off

Post by dboyk »

Great, thanks! This is very helpful - even with the other, taller fonts, I was able to solve the problem by increasing the leading. Can I suggest to the developers, though, that it would be better to let characters extend out of their fields, rather than getting cut off. Or else that there should be a way to give more room to the top line of a field.