Italian hyphenation

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Groucho

Re: Italian hyphenation

Post by Groucho »

I did just that, last year. NWP has improved, but there still are a few glitches here and there. The s-thing is obnoxious. I published a book some four months ago. 200 pages. Hyphenation was OK except for the s-thing. There were horrors like s-tare and s-poradico, which could be swept aside by squashing the s-thing as well as setting a hyphenation threshold.

As I said, looks like NWP superimposes its pattern in words where s is followed by a consonant. I tried using the original Tex hyphenation file. I tried adding rules like 1s2t and 1s2p. All to no avail. NWP keeps honoring the correct rule AND its own wrong one.

And the rest is OK.

Greetings, Henry.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

MacSailor wrote:
martin wrote:
MacSailor wrote:Will there be any Swedish hyphenation or is it a dead end for Swedish users regarding hyphenation in Swedish?
It turns out there is a Swedish hyphenation dictionary in the OpenOffice repository. I don't know how good it is, but you could download it and add it to your copy of NWP by following the instructions on our hyphenation FAQ.

If you do try it out, we'd be happy to know how well it works. We can see about getting it added to the default NWP dictionaries.
Great news. I will download it, install it and give it a try.

Update: Now I have installed the necessary file(s) and it's working. As far as I can tell, it's working quite well.
Excellent, thank you! We'll see about getting the Swedish hyphenation dictionary added to NWP by default.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Henry, Paolo, and gnoli: I looked at the Italian hyphenation more closely and it seems there is a bug in NWP where some parts of the TeX patterns are not being respected. Specifically the hyphenation score at the very end of a pattern could be ignored. For example, in the pattern ".1s2" the 2 was ignored, meaning that hyphenation was not prevented after an "s" where this pattern was dominant.

This is causing the problems with the examples Henry provided, eg: presto, cospicuo, and trasmissione. Thank you very much for those Henry, they were invaluable in tracking this down.

We'll definitely get this bug fixed for the next NWP update. Thank you to everyone for pointing it out, and your help here.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Great!

Henry
ptram

Post by ptram »

Fantastic news, Martin! Sono conte-nto di ques-to! :-)

Paolo

(Note: The above hyphenation is wrong! Do not use it as a model!)
reh-im-mond

Post by reh-im-mond »

Nisus' German hyphenation is OK for the most part, but I have found an error – what should I do?

Let's take the word "nennen". According to the Duden (the official German orthography reference book) it is:

nen-nen
ge-nannt
ge-nann-tes

Nisus has the hyphenation like this:

nen-nen (correct!)
ge-nan-nt (false!)
ge-nan-ntes (false!)

By the way I find it strange that "Hyphenation" is in the "View" menu. Traditionally, the items in the view menu have no effect to the print output – so it really is the right place for "Draft View", "Rulers" or "Page Guides" but hyphenation isn't one of this group I feel.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We've just released Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.7 and all these poor hyphenation problems should be fixed. If anything is still amiss in 2.0.7, please let us know. Thank you!
reh-im-mond

Post by reh-im-mond »

Thank you, German hyphenation is now much better! That is a great plus for Nisus – both Mellel and Apple Pages don't do correct German hyphenation…

Anyway, Nisus does it correctly now:

nen-nen
ge-nannt
ge-nanntes

The last one could be ge-nann-tes, so Nisus is a bit "defensive" there – which is much more preferable than the embarrassingly false ge-nan-ntes which it had before (and which Mellel and Pages still use).

Anyway, thank you very much!!!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Wonderful, I'm very glad to hear that the German hyphenation has indeed been corrected.