Nisus's Creator Code in NWP Documents

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
wwgreaves

Nisus's Creator Code in NWP Documents

Post by wwgreaves »

I just started using NWP today, so I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I have dug around to no avail:

What is Nisus's creator code in NWP documents? I want to search for it in NWP documents across my MacBook Pro so I can mark them to be opened automatically by NWP instead of TextEdit.

Many thanks for any assistance you can provide.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Nisus's Creator Code in NWP Documents

Post by martin »

Technically our creator code is 'NISX' but that probably won't help you, because OSX no longer considers creator codes as relevant when choosing which application to open files. This was lamented by some users, but Apple has decided upon using file extensions as the single piece of information when choosing which application to use.

By default Nisus Writer Pro will save files using the RTF file format, whose file extension ".rtf" is by default mapped to TextEdit. We have a FAQ that includes instructions on how to change this so that Nisus Writer opens all ".rtf" files.

Alternatively, I believe there are some apps and tools that work around the change in various ways, in order to restore the old creator code based behavior for your entire Mac. You might look into that instead, if you desire such a thing. You could also set NWP's default file format to Nisus Compressed RTF whose file extension ".zrtf" is not used by any other applications.
wwgreaves

Post by wwgreaves »

Indeed. Many thanks for your complete answer.

I was trying to do the following:

In the Finder, choose File > Find. Change the Kind pop-up menu to Raw Query. (Choose Raw Query from the Other... dialog.) In the text field next to Raw Query, enter this phrase:

(kMDItemContentType == "public.plain-text") && (kMDItemFSCreatorCode == "NISX")

This expression should find all your .txt files created by NWP; now you can select them all, do a Get Info, and change their Open With setting in one move.

But it didn't work for me.

In the two days that I have been using NWP, I have saved all my NWP files in two folders, and it was easy to choose all of them in Finder and change their designation in Get Info to allow them to be opened by NWP.

Because I'm old and forgetful, I am trying to develop a procedure that would allow me to find files I saved somewhere else without changing their designation. I hoped the above suggestion would work, but it didn't.

I'll keep searching.

Meanwhile, I'm impressed with NWP's abilities — particularly how it handles OpenType fonts. I bought it on the strength of that ability, and I am glad I did.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

wwgreaves wrote:I was trying to do the following:

In the Finder, choose File > Find. Change the Kind pop-up menu to Raw Query. (Choose Raw Query from the Other... dialog.) In the text field next to Raw Query, enter this phrase:

(kMDItemContentType == "public.plain-text") && (kMDItemFSCreatorCode == "NISX")

This expression should find all your .txt files created by NWP; now you can select them all, do a Get Info, and change their Open With setting in one move.

But it didn't work for me.
I just tried it, and it doesn't work for me either. Well, it seems to work partially. Using just the creator code query (kMDItemFSCreatorCode == "NISX") spotlight turns up only 3 files on my computer– but of course I have way more NWP files on my Mac than that. I can only speculate that because creator codes are generally ignored by OSX these days this feature doesn't receive much testing by Apple.
Because I'm old and forgetful, I am trying to develop a procedure that would allow me to find files I saved somewhere else without changing their designation. I hoped the above suggestion would work, but it didn't.
I was going to suggest using our Nisus Compressed RTF file format exclusively, since that would allow spotlight to match the unique ".zrtf" file name extension, but I see you're using plain text files. In that case I unfortunately can't think of any solutions offhand, sorry.
Meanwhile, I'm impressed with NWP's abilities — particularly how it handles OpenType fonts. I bought it on the strength of that ability, and I am glad I did.
Thanks for that! Though for NWP's OpenType abilities we should tip our hat to Apple, whose text engine (as used and enhanced by NWP) provides OpenType font support to us for free.