Tabs are not Preserved

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Wizardiaoan

Tabs are not Preserved

Post by Wizardiaoan »

I made a 6x9 book format template where I assign tabs every 1/4 inch. I am converting my word docs to Nisus by selecting the text and pasting it to the template and then using the template's styles. This works good except it doesn't preserve the tabs.

Also when I change the style to block text for a quote all the tabs get erased to the default 1/2", even though they were for the whole document. I would take the time to imbed the tabs in each style is I could, just wondering how to always preserve the same tab structure through the whole document? Thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Tabs are not Preserved

Post by martin »

Wizardiaoan wrote:I made a 6x9 book format template where I assign tabs every 1/4 inch. I am converting my word docs to Nisus by selecting the text and pasting it to the template and then using the template's styles. This works good except it doesn't preserve the tabs.
When you say the tabs aren't preserved do you mean that the tab stops/markers on the ruler are lost, or that the tab characters in the text itself disappear? If it's the former, then isn't that what you want, ie: to have your template document enforce ruler tab stops via a paragraph style? If it's the latter, and characters are being lost when copy-pasting, then that sounds strange and would be something we'd want to investigate.
Also when I change the style to block text for a quote all the tabs get erased to the default 1/2", even though they were for the whole document. I would take the time to imbed the tabs in each style is I could, just wondering how to always preserve the same tab structure through the whole document? Thanks.
The best way would be to define a paragraph style that enforces all your ruler tab stops. This paragraph style could be based on Normal. You could then use this style as the basis for other styles, eg: base your Block Quote style on this style.
Wizardiaoan

Post by Wizardiaoan »

Ok, I'll try to look into doing this, I'm a bit confused with the two sets of styles. All my paragraph styles are based on the "default paragraph font" character style, so I'll play with that I guess. Thanks. I'm not sure how to change the tabs in the "default paragraph font" character style.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Character styles actually can't enforce any ruler tab stops, so you'll have to work with whatever paragraph style is applied. Or perhaps this points out the need to apply such a style.

If you like, you could post a sample of the source and destination documents (or send them to me privately), so we can take a look and make a more specific suggestion to help you out.
Wizardiaoan

Post by Wizardiaoan »

Thanks Martin, I figured it out. At first for whatever reason I couldn't adjust the tabs in the paragraph styles area but now I can. Changing all the styles I work with to the tabs I want them to have should solve the issue.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Ah excellent, glad you've got it working!