Seeing all footnotes at once: possible?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Anne Cuneo

Seeing all footnotes at once: possible?

Post by Anne Cuneo »

I have tried to find a way to see all footnotes at once and haven't been able to find one. Am I missing something? Thanks for helping!
Anne
robertb

Re: Seeing all footnotes at once: possible?

Post by robertb »

The easiest way I've found is to look at them all as endnotes, then switch back to footnotes. To do that, look at the bottom of the Nisus page:
foot-end notes.png
foot-end notes.png (10.24 KiB) Viewed 8784 times
Click the green tab and it automatically changes footnotes to endnotes. When you're finished, click again and it changes back to footnotes.

Robert, Jacksonville, Fla.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Being able to see/edit all footnotes at once is something we have filed as a feature request, but as Robert says, right now you'll have to find a workaround. If you don't need to edit them, you could place the insertion point into any footnote area, select all, copy, and paste them into a new file (the footnotes will be pasted as regular text in the main document area).
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

HELP!
I have, for once, written a book with about 50 footnotes. Some of them are longish. They have gone mad. The number is on one page, the note 2 pages later, some notes are partly not readable, it's a real mess.
I thought I could remedy this by changing footnotes to endnotes, but a realized that I do not have the green button mentioned above at the bottom of my screen. In fact, I have never seen the green button.
Do I have to check something for it to appear?
These footnotes represent hours of research, I should appreciate help.
For the time being, I have split the text in two, and the second part is better. But this shouldn't be so.
I need urgent help.
Anne
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Hello Anne,
Normally, the green tag is visible when you place the cursor anywhere in the note text or when you select any text in the body text which includes one or more note reference markers. If this does not happen in your file, it could be that there is no footnote style in the Style Sheet.

Insert a temporary empty footnote reference (from Insert:Footnote menu) anywhere in the document. This will create Footnote style in the Style Sheet.
Select the entire document.
The green tag will now be visible.
Apply the green tag to the entire document while it is selected. This will apply the footnote style to all the footnotes in the document.
Delete the temporary empty footnote reference.
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

Gosh, Hamid! Thank you!
Why didn't I wait. I had not noticed that the green tab appears when you are in a footnote, but only then. I have now converted the notes to text, then noticed that when you do that the notes numbers disappear (but I did this on a copy, thank God!), and I was furious.
I haven't been very observant, have I?
Thanks again!

PS. Is it normal that only 50 footnotes in a 200 pages text (65'000 words) disappear inside the space allotted to them? I have clicked adapt space automatically, but starting around note 30, the notes seem to stop being reasonable, you find them 2 pages after your insertion, they keep only the first line, etc. I even thought I had lost them, but when I converted them to text, they were happily still there. Still, it's a bother.
Anne