footnotes and blank space

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
docrates2

footnotes and blank space

Post by docrates2 »

Hey,
I've gotta question and an issue. I'm using NWP 2.0 or 2.0.1.

1) Do footnotes wrap from one page to the next? In other words, can the same footnote continue from one page to the next? I'm new to NWP and recently broke away from Mellel because I wanted an easier program to manage my dissertation and, frankly, I was bored with Mellel. However, if the footnotes do not wrap in NWP, I'll have to go back to the robotic Mellel, which I really, really don't want to do.

2) This may have something to do with footnotes not wrapping (if they don't wrap to the next page). I'm working on a project and suddenly this big blank space shows up and takes up half of one page. I've tried deleting it and everything else I know to do (which isn't much), but no results. I didn't do a page or section break, so I don't know what's going on.

I'd appreciate your insights.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: footnotes and blank space

Post by rmark »

Hello docrates2,

I'm sorry you experience difficulties with Nisus Writer Pro.

1) Yes footnotes do (or if you set it that way "can") wrap from one page to the next.
This is controlled in the Style Sheet view of Nisus Writer Pro. In the "navigation pane" on the left of the document window click Footnote and you'll see all the settings for your footnotes' style. Among the settings available is Multi-page Threshold:
if the notes are long and their text extends beyond the page on which the reference appears, you can determine their Multi-page Threshold, that is the minimum number of points and/or lines that the notes must contain before they can split between pages;

2) It is quite possible that the large empty space you see is due to the amount of space required to display your footnote, without allowing it to break to the next page.

I hope that helps. If you need any additional assistance, please let me know. You may want to send a sample file to <support@nisus.com> for us to examine.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
jb

Post by jb »

I'm working on a project and suddenly this big blank space shows up and takes up half of one page. I've tried deleting it and everything else I know to do (which isn't much), but no results. I didn't do a page or section break, so I don't know what's going on.
FWIW, I've seen this too. But closing and reopening the document removed the mysterious empty space. This was with 2.0.1 on 10.6.8.
docrates2

Post by docrates2 »

rmark,

Thanks for the quick response. I saw that threshold marker and played with it a bit. I'll check it out again.