NWP 1.4.1 crashing in Lion

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
dboyk

NWP 1.4.1 crashing in Lion

Post by dboyk »

Since I've installed Lion, NWP has been crashing on open. At first, I thought it was because of one of the previously-opened files that it was opening, so I deleted all the Preferences and Application Support files in my Library folder (incidentally, why is there no way to force NWP not to open any files on startup?). That didn't fix anything, though. It starts up normally, and after between about 1 and 3 seconds, I get a beach ball and an Application Not Responding, and Activity Monitor reports 95%+ CPU usage. I would try reinstalling, but I can't find a disk image for 1.4.1 (the new features in 2.0 aren't worth $49 to me). I'm including a sample file from Activity Monitor. I tried to Send Feedback, but of course NWP crashed before I was able to. Is there anything I can do, or did Lion somehow break NWP?
Attachments
Sample of Nisus Writer Pro.txt
(48.32 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: NWP 1.4.1 crashing in Lion

Post by martin »

I'm sorry you've had troubles. The sample you posted indicates that NWP is busy (perhaps completely hung) while generating font previews. Perhaps one of your fonts isn't well behaved on Lion. You might launch Apple's FontBook and validate all your installed fonts.

That said, even if you get NWP 1.4.1 launched, there are a few other issues with running NWP version 1.4.1 on Lion. The only critical one we've found so far is that text in asian scripts (eg: Chinese) can layout as if it didn't have any width (ie: all characters stack/draw on top of one another in a jumble). We have a beta that's compatible with Lion, but it's only for Pro version 2.

Oh, and lastly, reinstalling NWP won't help you here, but we do have a version history archive that supplies downloads of all past versions.
dboyk

Post by dboyk »

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, after I removed all the problem fonts, the problem persisted. I then erased the Application Support files and it still didn't go away. I'm attaching a new sample file.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I think you forgot to attach your new sample...
dboyk

Post by dboyk »

Whoops, sorry. Here it is.
Attachments
Sample #2 of Nisus Writer Pro.txt
(46.45 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the extra sample. Unfortunately it shows the same problem: hung while loading font previews. To be clear, the sample shows that NWP is asking the system (OSX) to generate a font preview, and that request never returns control back to NWP, which is why I think this is a font/system issue, and not a NWP issue.

I'm attaching a NWP preferences file here that has the font menu previews disabled. If you move it into place (make sure NWP is not running while you do this), you should at least be able to launch NWP. You might still run into problems down the line, if you try to use whatever font has gone wonky. Perhaps you can try all your fonts out once you have NWP launched, in other to ferret out which one is the problem. I was going to write a macro that could aid you in this tedious task, but it turns out macros don't have any way of knowing the full list of available fonts- sorry.
Attachments
prefs.zip
(2.07 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
dboyk

Post by dboyk »

Hmm, now I get a real crash, not a hang. I'm attaching the crash report.
Attachments
nisus crash report.txt.zip
(16.7 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the crash report. It's looking like Pro 1.4.1 isn't particularly stable on Lion- we're looking into producing a Pro 1.4.2 that is compatible with Lion. Sorry for the trouble. In the meantime you might use the Pro 2.0.1 beta, even if just in demo mode.