Page numbers

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
AZjack

Page numbers

Post by AZjack »

I have several separate manuscripts, which will eventually be part of one large ms. I want to start the page numbering of the second ms at a few numbers higher than the last page of the first ms, to allow for some expansion. So I want to have the number of the first page in the file be "201". Somehow I managed to do that before, and the first 3 mss are numbered as I want them for the present. But I cannot remember how I did it. The user guide says to enter a section break then go to the section palette and enter the starting page number with the cursor where you want the page number. I want the page number centered in the footer space, so I have the cursor there. I enter 201 as the starting number for that section, but no number appears in the footer.

Even if this worked it is very cumbersome. It would be much more "intelligent" of NWP if it had a menu selection to automatically increase page number by 1, then let you place the number you want in the footer (or wherever you like it), then increment by 1 on each succeeding page.

I must be failing to do one of the steps properly, with the currently available method of inserting a starting page number. Can someone tell me where I have gone wrong and point me in the riight direction.
Thanks
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: Page numbers

Post by rmark »

AZjack,

I'm sorry you experience difficulties with Nisus Writer Pro.

I don't know exactly what you are doing that causes the problems you describe, but let's see if we can't start at the beginning. It seems that part of the confusion you experience is due to the presumption on the part of the User's Guide that you have a new section in a large document and this is not a separate document from the preceding section.

Let's see if these steps solve the problem for you.

1. If you have not already altered the alignment in the footer, the alignment is set to the left, by default. Click your insertion point in the footer area and choose Center from the Paragraph Alignment submenu of the Format menu.

2. Choose Page Number from the Automatic Number submenu of the Insert menu.

3. Open the Section palette (you can choose it from the Palettes submenu of the Window menu) and put your insertion point in the last text-edit field in that palette (the one labeled: "Restart Page Number"). The oddity in this case is that you are not restarting the page number, but starting it.

4. Delete what appears in that text-edit field and enter the number on which you want that new document ("section") to begin. The pop-up menu there is set to increment the pagination by 1.

5. Press Enter or Tab to confirm your entry and check the document to confirm that the automatic number in the footer appears as the number you entered in the palette.

I hope that helps. If you need any additional assistance, please let me know.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
AZjack

Re: Page numbers

Post by AZjack »

Thanks Mark, it worked. I think I skipped step 2.