Bulleted and other lists

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
michiganuser19

Bulleted and other lists

Post by michiganuser19 »

Almost the only feature I still miss from MS Word is the approach to bulleted lists. If I type text as normal and then hit "return," MS Word simply allows me to start a new line of text. If, however, I type a particular character at the start of the new line, that tells MS Word that I am now doing a list -- and further triggers one of several different styles If the first character is a "*" the list looks like bullets (with solid circles at the first level, hollow circles if I indent for subordinate headings, etc.). If it's a "1." then it creates a numbered list (with i. for subordinate levels). If it's an "A." then it's an alphabetic list -- etc.

Is there any way to have this sort of auto-recognition of various lists in NWP? My guess is yes, but I'm still new at the program and so don't see the option. I searched the forums and found directions to reset my preferences to ALWAYS choose a list -- but that means every hard return in every document will be treated as a list entry, and that's not really what I want. Is this feature available?

Thank you!
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: Bulleted and other lists

Post by rmark »

michiganuser19,

You suggest an interesting feature. Nisus Writer Pro does not offer what you suggest. However you can easily start and stop a list by using the List button (currently present by default) on the Toolbar at the top of your document window. Once you start the list, Nisus Writer Pro will add the appropriate indicator (bullet, number, letter, etc.) each time you type a RETURN. To stop the list all you need do is choose Use None from the List button.

I'm curious to learn how Word knows to stop the list if it creates a list item each time you press return.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
michiganuser19

Re: Bulleted and other lists

Post by michiganuser19 »

Thanks very much for this response.

Word knows to stop a particular list simply by watching for a double hard return -- that means I have ceased building the currently-underway list. (A single hard return means I am still building the list, so Word starts the next line accordingly with a list signifier; a double hard return means I am done with the list, and am shifting into something else, so Word doesn't insert anything at the start of the line.)

Then later in the document, tthe next time I again start a line with one of the "trigger characters" (my name for them) -- * (for bulleted), 1. (for numerical), A. (for alphabetic), I. (for Roman numerical), etc. -- Word will start another list, according to the format suggested by that trigger character.