NW Crashes

Nisus Thesaurus, Nisus Writer Classic– this is the place for all other Nisus products.
Daniel Siegel

NW Crashes

Post by Daniel Siegel »

Lately, I have been having the experience of NW 6.5 crashing during long sessions. I can't quite pick out a pattern, but it may have to do with quickly scrolling, using the layout mode, and perhaps when I'm working with footnotes. The crash is sudden and I have taken to saving manually. At this point, I'm using OS X.2.4. According to the HP people, I can't go any higher due to compatibility issues with my Laserjet 3330.

By the way, I saw an exchange about not being able to print in Classic to an HP printer and that is now my experience as well (it wasn't until HP updated the software for the 3330 to make Jaguar compatible). They say that the only thing to do is to print in Classic. A drag and another reason to wait anxiously for a full version of Nisus for OS X.

Daniel
stemfoort

Post by stemfoort »

:?: Hi!
Have you tried the same under MacOS 9? I experienced the same kind of crashes until I drastically incresed memory allocation. Since then, smooth sailing; largest doc size = 889 pages prepared for camera-ready copy. On an HP 4000 Laserjet printer, by the way; never had any trouble with HP printer drivers and Nisus. Of course, this was before MacOS X.
davidchristmass

Advice any ideas on columns,

Post by davidchristmass »

Oh the list!

How does it crash, exactly?

Perhaps font, or maybe memory?

Nisus installs, updates the OS symbol font, for its own one. Its the symbols which make it crash, hah bloody hah, who ever thought that one up!

So Fonts can cause problems, also if there is another overinstall package, that uses other older fonts, and you have a list of font, in the font prefs, which for what ever reason, are not there, nisus calls a font, which does not exist, crash.

Other useful things to know, memory, gestalt functions, and check that you don't have a package which is shareware protected, like kai photo soap, which sometimes acts up, if you have lost directions to its files.

What else, there is the epson printer problem, frontier userland extension, there are troubles with USB, which can cause crashes. If you have an external cd rom, pluged in and it loads the usb, crash.

Conflict catcher, is one way of sorting out crashes, due to extensions.

One extension installed by photo delux, is object support lib, which causes crashes, and conflicts, not required after 7.6

Is carbon lib the right type, and age? Do you have the latest version?

All these things, maybe, and more.

Try deselecting the printer, in the choser, and picking a virtual printer, like laserwriter 8 or if you own it some other virtual print to file device.

That may help.

DAC

PS can any one help with advice on columns.