Styles and Bolding

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
ampersam

Styles and Bolding

Post by ampersam »

Recently, I think perhaps since updating to NWE2.1, I've been having trouble using styles. My styles that contain bolding no longer work properly. All the other formatting options work as specified (resizing, italic, etc.).

I also recently installed CopyPaste-X, are there any known conflicts with that? I'm not sure why there would be, as I am not pasting anything, only changing styles. And it still botches even after quiting CopyPaste-X. Any ideas?
ndcahill

Post by ndcahill »

I also find styles in 2.1 work completely differently than in 2.0, and they don't work the way I want them to. Sometimes text will take on attributes (bold, size, etc) of the previous paragraph, no matter what the attributes of the paragraph style applied to the text is, and it's impossible to change without selecting the whole paragraph and manually applying the text style (font, bold, size, etc) that it should have. In 2.0, if you gave text a different user-defined style and then reapplied the style it should have had originally, you got what you wanted; now even that doesn't work. I have gone back to 2.0 until this is fixed.
dennisg

Post by dennisg »

Yeah, I've found something similar. I have a style called Title that centers the text, makes it 18 points, and bold face ... except that the bold face doesn't work. I have to manually select the text and com-B it in order to get it bold. I have to say, I'm surprised, at this point in NWE's life cycle, that it's still so buggy. It's getting better, but it's still got a way to go before it inspires confidence.
- Dennis

"Is that your little friend in the wood chipper?"
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

You might want to make sure that you don't have some character formatting overriding the the style you have applied to your text. An easy way to see if this is the case is to select some affected text and look at the bottom right of the window where the "tags" are. If you see a black letter "a" with an underline, then you have character formatting applied that is override your styles. You can remove this by clicking on the "a" and choosing "Remove".

When we released 2.0, applying a paragraph style would remove any such character formatting precisely to avoid this problem. However, that behavior seemed to cause more problems than it solved so now in 2.1 when you apply a paragraph style, it removes only applied ruler attributes, such as indents and tabs.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

charles wrote:When we released 2.0, applying a paragraph style would remove any such character formatting precisely to avoid this problem. However, that behavior seemed to cause more problems than it solved so now in 2.1 when you apply a paragraph style, it removes only applied ruler attributes, such as indents and tabs.

-Charles
Would it be possible to be able to switch between these two ways of handling paragraph styles? There could be an option to choose (default) between the way it worked in NWE 2.0 and the it works now in NWE 2.1.

That’s a way to implement more freedom of choice in word processor business. :wink:
Last edited by MacSailor on 2004-11-26 12:27:01, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Edwardsson
ampersam

Post by ampersam »

I second Peter's idea.
JBL

Post by JBL »

I like Peter's suggestion also. Better yet, my suggestion from some previous thread: Have paragraph rulers only override the character attributes they specify. Then if you specified the font, ink color, size, etc you would have the behavior from 2.0 and if you didn't you would have the behavior from 2.1. Plus you could create in between cases. For example changing styles could restore the font, but not the color.
charles

Post by charles »

Hi everyone:

Taking into account all of your input, I'm thinking a good solution would be to have the style completely override any applied attributes (as it did in 2.0) if you hold down the option key while applying it. Normal application will use the method used now.

What do you think?

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

If you require the option key, it will be accessible only to folks who want the feature enough to look for it, find it, and memorize where you have hidden it. However, if the pop-up menu changes when you hold down the option key, at least the command will be locatable by braille.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

charles wrote:Hi everyone:

Taking into account all of your input, I'm thinking a good solution would be to have the style completely override any applied attributes (as it did in 2.0) if you hold down the option key while applying it. Normal application will use the method used now.

What do you think?

-Charles
Ehm, it may be a solution to the problem, but at the same time I would also like to be able to choose between the way it worked in NWE 2.0 and the it works now in NWE 2.1 by different options in the preferences.

Is it possible to have both the options to change the default options in the preferences and the option to use the option key to override any applied attribute...? (it’s a lot of options in that sentence :wink: )

/Peter
Peter Edwardsson