Will the GUI sometime also be translated?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
YanKun

Will the GUI sometime also be translated?

Post by YanKun »

Hi,
today I downloaded the Trial og NWE and after the first start I immediately begun to love this Program. But I'm sad that the GUI ist just in English. Even if I'm able to speak english, I feel uncomfortable using a new program not in my nativ language.

Will there ever be a Version translated into other langages? (German, Japanese etc.?)
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

YanKun,

Thank you for your interest in Nisus Writer Express.

Version 2.1 released today (November 12, 2004) comes with a French localization.

You can get a Japanese localized version from our Japanese distributor Mercury Software.

A German localization is in the works by our German distributor ComputerWorks GmbH and should be released shortly.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

yesterday I discovered that the German translation by computerworks is ready.

But why isn't the German localisation not included in the standard download on nisus.com?
charles

Post by charles »

Hi Reiner:

The German localization is not included because computerwerks distributes the localized version through their own stores and channels. We are not able to include their localization in our release at this time, unfortunately.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

charles wrote: at this time, unfortunately.
hi charles,

thanks for your prompt answer.

I fully agree with your "unfortunately" but how should I understand "at this time"? will there be a change with NWE 2.5?
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Hi Charles,

it's once again me. I really hope there will be a change in the German distribution very fast. I just got an email from comuterworks: they want 80 euros (over 103 $) for a so called Upgrade from the German NW 6.0 to German NWE 2.1! That I still own an English NWE-licence seems to play no role at all.

From my point of view this is one more very big reason for German Nisus Users to leave Nisus Writer and switch to Mellel, which is localized (in 16 languages at the moment), much cheaper and even the better solution in lots of features. Who never used NW will not have any reason to buy NWE at this price.

So this policy will lead to more loss of market share for NWE in Germany. This can't be your interest. Or what do I not understand?

Would be nice if you will explain it to me.
charles

Post by charles »

Hi Reiner:

Sorry. The situation is not going to change as soon as 2.5. I do understand your point, however, about how Nisus is not as accessible to German speakers right now. Localization is something we intend to focus on in the future, but right now all of our resources are committed to adding features to NWE. We will look into what we can do about the German localization...

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Hi Charles,

thanks for your answer. I learned one thing: When I use NWE I will use the English version. But mainly the word processor of my choice will be Mellel for the next years and NW 6 for some old big documents with lots of cross-references and stuff. If NWE will beat Mellel in importing NW-6-docs with cross-references, this is the only chance I see for NWE to stay alive on my computer.

If some German speakers are around here: you can buy a German version of NWE at www.computerworks.de which costs 138 euros, 80 euros as upgrade from NW 6.0. They send you a CD, which means you have to pay a few more euros postage.

The help is not translated, Thesaurus is not translated. No printed handbook or other jewels hided anywhere.

The update from 2.1 to 2.5 will cost also, don't know how much. But maybe it is worth to buy a licence now anyway because it lasts at least half a year each time a new version of NWE is translated. A few days ago it was only possible to buy version 1.1.2 in a German version.

By the way: you can buy a copy of the English version at computerworks too, for the amount of 98,6 Euros which are over 127 $ - that's crazy.
NISFAN

Post by NISFAN »

And what about a Spanish version? You are in California!

Cheers,
Santiago
marc

Post by marc »

Hmmm, sounds like a licensing issue with the distributors doing the translation...? Would there be anything stopping a community effort to translate the interface?

After all, isn't (fairly) easy localisation one of the supposed features of OS X/Cocoa?

Just a thought.... :)