launch speed

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
robertb

launch speed

Post by robertb »

Is there a way to tweak NWE to launch faster?

After a restart on my machine, NWE takes a full 15 seconds to launch to a new document. After I've launched it, worked on something, closed it, then launched it again, it takes about 7 seconds.

It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to have an almost instant launch.

I have an iBook G4, 1.33 GHz, with 1 GB ram.

Robert Blade, Jacksonville, Fla.
dshan

Post by dshan »

Interesting, mine loads up the first time in just over 7 secs on a 1GHz PB G4 with 1.25GB RAM while subsequent launches take a bit over 3 secs. The faster subsequent launches is typical of many/most OS X apps as much of the code is usually still in virtual memory and doesn't have to be loaded from the executable again. Firefox is particularly noticeable in this regard, it loads much faster after the initial load.

Why your NWX takes twice as long as mine to launch both initially and on subsequent launches is interesting. Do you have a lot of fonts perhaps? Loading all the fonts seems to be a major part of NWX startup processing so if you use a lot of them it might slow things down. Disabling unnecessary fonts using Font Book might help. I also have "On Activation: Do nothing" set in preferences. I guess versions of OS X might affect things too - I'm using 10.4.7.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Turning off the WYSIWYG font menu also helps startup times. You can turn that off in our Appearance preferences.
robertb

Post by robertb »

dshan and Martin:

Thanks very much for the tips. I've incorporated them all, and now NWE launches almost instantly--just what I was after.

By the way, version 2.7 is GREAT. Nice work.