Is Full Screen Mode still on the table?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Ted

Is Full Screen Mode still on the table?

Post by Ted »

This was discussed last year and users were very much in favor of it, as I recall. Is Nisus currently developing or one day will it develop this feature?
Last edited by Ted on 2006-04-08 09:44:59, edited 1 time in total.
HeatherKay

Post by HeatherKay »

Mmm. I bet that would look really cool on a 30in ACD

:D :wink:
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

I have to admit that even though I was opposed to it, I've started to use FS mode in a couple of applications I rely on, and it's really quite neat.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Yeah, I thought everybody was hot for it last year and that Nisus was convinced. Don't know what happened. It would be like iPhoto or something when in FSM -- the shortcut keys would work and maybe a simple HUD with basic formatting would be available. But nothing more.

Or maybe everything more. Maybe folks would come to like writing in such an uncluttered environment that they want to have the option to do everything in such an environment. Who knows? It certainly would distinguish Nisus from the competition...
marc

Try MegaZoomer

Post by marc »

SHORT:
Try Ian Henderson's Megazoomer which inserts itself into the Window menu of your apps, and will quickly hide the menu/dock and zoom the active window to full screen.

LONG WINDED:
It's a SIMBL plugin and at v0.3, so if you get a bit antsy about alpha/betas and these sorts of system extenders, I guess it's not for you (they've been harmless in my experience.)

When full-screen, the menu bar auto-shows (like dock auto-show/hide) and your app's toolbar remains (but you can hide that in the normal way for a given app, if you want.) The other nice thing is that window drawers work properly -- with NWX go to full screen then hit the Tool Drawer button and the full-sceeen window narrows just enough to show the drawer (and hiding it will return the window to full-width.)

IMHO this is well worth the price (free) -- it's a great addition to your system, and it allows me to stop bugging Nisus, Omni et al to support my little pet feature. :)

Full-screen viewing seems to be coming into it's own recently... well a bit, anyway(!), I guess it just goes to show how much influence Apple really has; before they started adding it to iApps, you were a bit of a loon for wanting it, now it's 'what all the cool kids are doing'.

...not you guys though, just speaking generally. :)

Some might argue that it's best suited to graphics apps or browsers (Photoshop's had it 'for eva' and IMHO it's one thing WinIE did right), but it can be useful in reducing clutter, and aiding concentration... and it's very handy on laptops -- I don't use it so much on large desktop monitors, but on Mac/PowerBooks and iBooks in particular, it's very nice indeed.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The new beta (number 9) has a full screen editing mode built in.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

So now that it's in there, does that mean that it's technically off the table?

Thanks for this, ye Nisus guys. It's a nice addition.