Fix - to create a useful autocomplete function

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
bluloo

Fix - to create a useful autocomplete function

Post by bluloo »

Hi,

The concept of autocompletion is a very useful idea. However, the implementation in Nisus is actually bothersome, rather than a feature.

Would it be possible to enable a preference for the autocompletion to suggest substitutions after a pre determined (user defined) number of letters?

It seems to "jump in" after two and is currently as useful as *** on a bull...

cheers

:)
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

bluloo,

Yes, you may note that earlier versions of the Nisus Writer Express documentation did not even mention this "feature".

We are looking into ways to make it (more?) useful… for example only suggesting words that already exist in the document (or other documents you have created).
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
bluloo

Post by bluloo »

rmark wrote:bluloo,

Yes, you may note that earlier versions of the Nisus Writer Express documentation did not even mention this "feature".

We are looking into ways to make it (more?) useful… for example only suggesting words that already exist in the document (or other documents you have created).
That would make an EXCELLENT option!

I look forward to checking it out when ready.

Thanks for the feedback.

:)
riccardo

What is autocompletion?

Post by riccardo »

Is this Quickfix? I find nothing in the online help nor the PDF version of the manual mentioning auto, auto completion, completion -- or any combination. Huh??

If you mean Quickfix, then I share the complaint about implementation ... but I'll hold off an explanation until I know I'm in the right place.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

No, actually they're referring to the option in the Preferences that's labeled "Suggest completions as you type". It gives a menu with possible words after each letter you type. This feature has the potential to very useful, but right now it mainly slows things down and you still have to type almost the entire word to get the right one.
Jzents

Post by Jzents »

I would put my two cents in to second the suggestion of the Offical Nisus Person. I love Nisus and prefer it, but NeoOffice has an autocomplete feature that works like the one they are contemplating. It is a joy to use when composing documents with lots of long words that get repeated lots of times - like Aristotle and Parmenides - NeoOffice learns those from my writing and only suggests them and not parmesian after I type parm. If that is what Nisus is think of, then WOW. That would be great!
Jeffrey Zents
jzents@mac.com
marc

Post by marc »

Jzents wrote:I would put my two cents in to second the suggestion of the Offical Nisus Person.
Me three... auto-complete can be a very useful feature, but the current implementation is not, yet. : )