Express Sneak Peek Feedback Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
marc

Better performance under Tiger

Post by marc »

Noodling around in Tiger, I notice that NWX is much more responsive, scrolling is actually quite decent (PB G4 1Ghz, 1Gb RAM), and the 2.5 alpha runs very nicely, in both draft, and page views.

Launch and file open/layout are noticeably quicker, though opening larger files could still do to be faster, but overall it is very nice for the UI to finally feel quite smooth, and get out of the way of using the app.
dave
Official Nisus Person

New Express 2.5 Alpha Build Available

Post by dave »

There is a new Express 2.5 alpha build available at our <a href="http://www.nisus.com/sneakpeek/">sneak peek page</A>.

Please feel free to download and send feedback, we would love to hear it!

Also, please read the sneak peek page and make sure that you understand what the sneak peeks are about before downloading.

You have been warned. Heh.

Dave
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Could you guys somehow differentiate between the 2.1.x peeks and the 2.5x peeks? The single-page method is confusing—what's been changed? What should I be checking out?
cchapin

"Invisible" space

Post by cchapin »

A very minor cosmetic anomaly in 2.5a2: When I type a space at the end of the document with "invisibles" visible, the dot that indicates the space appears to the right of the insertion point instead of to its left, where it should be. (This is true in 2.1.3 also, so perhaps it has been true all along and I've just now noticed it.)

I couldn't report this via Report a Bug in the Help menu because that is grayed out.

--Craig
Matze

Re: New Express 2.5 Alpha Build Available

Post by Matze »

dave wrote:There is a new Express 2.5 alpha build available at our <a href="http://www.nisus.com/sneakpeek/">sneak peek page</A>.

Please feel free to download and send feedback, we would love to hear it!
[SNIP]
Dave
Dave, I can not start the new alpha!

Why not?

Best, Matze
charles

Post by charles »

Matze:

What OS are you on?

-C
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Matze

Post by Matze »

charles wrote:Matze:

What OS are you on?

-C
Oh, sorry!

OS X 10.3.8

Best, Matze
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

When I print a list in NWE 2.5a2 while "Highlight automatic numbers" is checked in Preferences, the list's bullets, letters, or numbers and the space between them and the text are shaded gray. This is not true of page and section numbers. I assume it is not intentional. If I uncheck "Highlight automatic numbers," the gray background does not print.

--Craig (Still can't report a bug from within NWE 2.5a2.)
JBL

Post by JBL »

I am also on 10.3.8 and I also can't start up. The nisus icon "zooms" when I double click on it but it never shows up in the dock. No splash screen, nothing. This is on a dual 1.42 Ghz G4 PowerMac with 2 GB RAM.
Cosimo

Post by Cosimo »

I'm on 10.3.6 and have the same trouble starting 2.5A2 (no trouble with A1). A quick look in the Terminal window shows:

"can't open library: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap
logout"

Does that make any sense to anyone?

Regards,
Cosimo
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

Well, the answer might be, as Matze suggested in another thread, to update tp 10.3.9. Sad.
Going from 10.2 to 10.3 has been a cinch, no problems to speak of, things went smoothly. But starting with 10.3.9, people began complaining, so I decided to skip that one, anyway 10.4 was coming. But our site www.cuk.ch is full of the problems people have with Tiger, so I am waiting, since 10.3.8 is really OK, apart from Nisus 2.5.alpha2. I'll stick with Nisus 2.1.3 and 10.3.8 until everybody starts saying they are happy after all with Tiger. I'm resentful, though. Not towards Nisus. Towards Apple. :evil:

I'm editing this two hours later: I shall stick with Nisus 2.1.1 and 10.3.8, since 2.1.3 refuses to open the 2.1.1 documents. I presume it is because I haven't updated the OS (and for reasons stated above I'm not going to for a couple of weeks yet).
Anne
charles

Post by charles »

Dear Users:

2.5a2 will not run on anything older than 10.3.9 This is due to our switching to using new development tools from Apple, which apparently do not support systems older than 10.3.9 without additional setup. We will reconfigure these tools and hopefully the next alpha release will run on all 10.3 and later systems again.

Sorry for the confusion.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Cosimo

Post by Cosimo »

charles wrote:Dear Users:

2.5a2 will not run on anything older than 10.3.9 This is due to our switching to using new development tools from Apple, which apparently do not support systems older than 10.3.9 without additional setup. We will reconfigure these tools and hopefully the next alpha release will run on all 10.3 and later systems again.

Sorry for the confusion.

-Charles
Charles,

Thanks for that. I'm hanging back on 10.3.9 for all the potential it seems to have to make key applications behave in a very untidy fashion. Likewise 10.4.0 until I can be sure that I don't have to spend days to get back to what I can do now.

Any idea when we can expect to run 2.5a2 on older systems would be appreciated.

Regards,
Cosimo
JBL

Post by JBL »

Anne,

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. Things work under 10.3.8. People have reported problems with 10.4.0 and 10.3.9 so why rush to upgrade. One difference, however, is that 2.1.3 seems to open 2.1.1 files fine for me.
gemboy27

preferences

Post by gemboy27 »

I've tried to set up a preference in 2.5 a2 several times

what I want is when I open a new file (or wishfully an old one) in the tool bar window to have 'character' 'language' and 'paragraph'

I tried to do it in the 'T' window/button, do you have to do it in the blank or 'page' window/button.

I think I have figured this out, but it is a little confusing.

what is the purpose of each button??

pencil: language tools
T: formating
rectangle/window: tables
blank: for personalizing??????

I know this is a little muddled, sorry
George
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)