File Resources Lost from Classic Documents

Nisus Thesaurus, Nisus Writer Classic– this is the place for all other Nisus products.
fmhoyt

File Resources Lost from Classic Documents

Post by fmhoyt »

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 10.3 to 10.4 and have found to my chagrine that my Nisus Classic documents have lost their metadata such that they contain bare text and Arabic text does not display in Arabic characters but rather as ASCII gibberish. All formatting is lost.

I downgraded back to 10.3 on one of my machines to see if the files would display correctly there. They do not, suggesting that the metadata is lost rather than simply not displaying on 10.4.

Is it possible to reintroduce metadata to these documents, at least as much as is necessary for the Arabic text to display correctly?

Thank you,

Fred Hoyt
Austin, TX
fmhoyt

Post by fmhoyt »

Let me rephrase my previous post:

The HFS data associated with the Nisus Classic documents is what seems to have been lost. It may be that when I upgraded to 10.4 I didn't format the HD in HFS (I don't remember).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

There is no easy way to retrieve that HFS data. Specifically Nisus Writer Classic uses the resource fork to hold all the formatting for your document. Without it you just have plain text, eg: no fonts, language, styles, graphics, etc. I can only hope you might have older backups of your data that still have their resource forks intact.
mbenedikt

Nisus Writer Icons opens Textedit: workaround

Post by mbenedikt »

When your Writer files lose their metadata, and are unable to open Nisus Writer on being double clicked, the solution is easy. Drag the "disabled" file icon onto the Writer application icon in your dock. Opens like a charm, formatting and all. Being doing it for a year or more.