Intermittent Tab Key

Talk about InfoClick, our email search tool.
ScottinPollock

Intermittent Tab Key

Post by ScottinPollock »

When I launch InfoClick, I find it impossible to bring any fields into focus using the tab key (it simply does nothing).

Once I click somewhere within the interface, I am able to traverse fields using the tab key. But it would be nice to launch InfoClick and execute a search without having to reach for the mouse.

macOS: 10.12.6 (16G29)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Intermittent Tab Key

Post by martin »

Hi Scottin: thanks for the bug report. Have you tried pressing the Tab key more than once after launching InfoClick? The first time I press the Tab key I'm not sure where keyboard focus rests, but the 2nd time I press the Tab key it focuses the "previous search" button. If I press Tab again, the focus (and caret) is placed in the search fields as expected.

That said, it would be nice if InfoClick defaulted to placing focus in one of the search fields. I'll file a bug on this, thank you!
ScottinPollock

Post by ScottinPollock »

Hi Martin...

That is not the behavior I see here:

1.) launch InfoClick

2.) Hit the tab key as many times you want, focus never enters the window.

But if you click in the window (let's say on the tab control to change the search mode) then it works as you describe.

I have tested it under the Guest account as well to make sure I wasn't running something that was getting in the way. Behavior is the same.

edit: If you're leaving infoClick running and just bring it to the foreground to use it you won't see this. What I am describing is directly after launching the app.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

One factor: do you have "full keyboard access" enabled in your system preferences? I have mine turned on. Actually, if I disable it then InfoClick's behavior is improved. With "full keyboard access" disabled I only need to press the Tab key once after InfoClick launches to focus a search field.

In any case, I think it would be best if InfoClick simply focussed the first search field automatically after launch.

Oh, but I do have one tip: after launch press the keyboard shortcut Command + K. It clears the search, but more importantly it will focus a search field.
ScottinPollock

Post by ScottinPollock »

martin wrote:One factor: do you have "full keyboard access" enabled in your system preferences?
Actually, I have tried both options with no joy.
In any case, I think it would be best if InfoClick simply focussed the first search field automatically after launch.
Agreed.
Oh, but I do have one tip: after launch press the keyboard shortcut Command + K. It clears the search, but more importantly it will focus a search field.
That works... thanks.