Feature Request

Talk about InfoClick, our email search tool.
ScottinPollock

Feature Request

Post by ScottinPollock »

Wow! Great little utility.

I have been using to show me old emails with attachments that are no longer relevant so I could delete them. What I discovered was a whole bunch of emails (and in some cases entire mailboxes) of stuff that was NOT displayed anywhere in the sidebar. Not surprising given the train wreck that Apple Mail has been over the years (and that the structure of Mail's files is updated with every major update of the OS).

So my feature request is to add a delete file(s) item in the contextual menu so one does not have to go through the process of:

1.) Show in Finder
2.) Delete File from Finder window

for every file that needs to go bye-bye.

Thanks,

-SiP
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Feature Request

Post by martin »

Thanks for the feature suggestion Scottin, I'll make a note of it as a potential enhancement. I believe the feature is already in our issue tracker, but we ran into some complications that makes it difficult to add.

There's two ways such a feature might be used:

1. To delete orphaned files left behind by Apple Mail, for emails that no longer show in Mail. I believe this is what you want, and actually doesn't come with any complications. InfoClick could delete such files.

2. Allow the user to delete emails from InfoClick, and have them disappear from Apple Mail. This is generally not possible, because Mail doesn't use the presence or absence of files on disk to determine what to show the user. Mail cares what the email server (eg: IMAP server) says it should display and will recreate files as necessary. That last bit means that files trashed using this hypothetical InfoClick feature could very well be recreated by Apple Mail at its discretion.

Anyways, the idea still has merit, so I'll be sure to make a note of it. Thanks for your feedback!
ScottinPollock

Re: Feature Request

Post by ScottinPollock »

martin wrote:There's two ways such a feature might be used: 1. To delete orphaned files left behind by Apple Mail, for emails that no longer show in Mail.
That would be a great addition.
2. Allow the user to delete emails from InfoClick, and have them disappear from Apple Mail. This is generally not possible, because Mail doesn't use the presence or absence of files on disk to determine what to show the user. Mail cares what the email server (eg: IMAP server) says it should display and will recreate files as necessary. That last bit means that files trashed using this hypothetical InfoClick feature could very well be recreated by Apple Mail at its discretion.

Anyways, the idea still has merit, so I'll be sure to make a note of it. Thanks for your feedback!
Thanks! Actually, the majority of my email is in local folders and archived mailboxes on a server (I think you wrote the tip here for how to do that). Sometimes it is time to cut bait on that saved email and I have found InfoClick to be the best tool for easily locating them. It would be great if it was just as easy to delete them.